Tsuba Design

kissakai

Hi

I bought this from a board member a few days ago and wondered if anyone has any idea what the design represets?

I know some of these will remain a mystery but you never know

The size is 82 x 81 x 1.5mm, the nakago ana has never been altered and the two smaller holes are recessed both sides

I can't see any lamination but I've a load to learn about these types of material variations

It has a nice feeling in the hand but no idea why

The large hole is serrated and the two other shapes make me think of a plum!

post-2100-0-82322600-1533760833_thumb.jpg

PS

I'm about half way through the Tosogu Classroom V1

So much information I can only read it in small doses. Hats of to Markus for translation and the excellent question posed to Shigeo san

I liked Shigeo san reference to previous studies and his interpretations so it is almost like he is talking to the reader

Well recommended 

]Hi

I can't see snow flakes and more like flying saucers than crop circles but both possible if Asimov was a tsubako

The image doesn't show the true outlines so with the tsuba in hand I've filled in one of the shapes - a bit like an old barn and shown below

The lage hole had small serrations that you can see. Both top and bottom (barn shapes) are identical although the image doesn't show this

The relationship between the two top and bottom sukashii to the centre hole is identically mirrored

post-2100-0-02420500-1533801409_thumb.jpg

Grev

Dear Grev,

I'm fairly certain that the top and bottom sets of sukashi (the small and large, non-serrated circles or "barn" shapes) are kukurizaru.  I wrote about them here:

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/24862-intrested-in-what-you-guys-may-think-about-this-kurikata/?hl=kukurizaru&do=findComment&comment=251815

post-852-0-80629900-1533834859.jpg

I've also included some pictures and text from Nihonto-no-Bi below that show these shapes.  I think that the orientation of your shapes fit the nature of these kukurizaru or tumble dolls.  

Quite often they are grouped in threes, so I think that the inclusion of the serrated circle or "star" or "snowflake" is intended to replace the third monkey doll.  Sasano-sensei refers to that shape as a "bright star", but I have also seen it referred to as a snow flake or family mon (I'm not personally convinced by any of those descriptions).  Perhaps the "bright star" is intended to represent the wearer's accomplishment of one of their important goals (so that kukurizaru is transformed).

From Nihonto-no-Bi:

http://www.users.on.net/~coxm/?page=tsubaI_tsuba

post-852-0-97191400-1533834444_thumb.jpg

Otafuku gata tsuba of wakizashi size, 6.6 x 6.0 x 0.3 cm. Ita gane plate that thins towards maru mimi. Kozuke and kogai hitsu ana. Mumei, but could be later Akasaka. Ko-sukashi design of two pairs of small and large holes. These represent kukurizaru (kukuri saru) , or “tied monkeys”, which express the philosophy of control of one’s ego (as in restraining a boistrous monkey). Small stuffed cloth figures of monkeys on a string with arms and legs tied are sold at many temples. On right are other versions (in Tsuba-no-Bi), top mid Muromachi kacchushi tsuba (#74); bottom late Edo period “Kofu Ju” “Akao Saku” (#160).

I was looking at the 'bright star' shape as I still do not think it is a snow flake

I wondered about the clock (gear) shape but I can't find any references yet and I'm unsure when or who used this type of shape

Although of general interest so shouldn't be here

More stunning underwater images:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/photos/from-a-colourful-cave-to-a-sunken-tank-the-underwater-photo-contest-winners-that-will-take-your-breath-away/ss-BBLK08v?ocid=spartandhp

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..