Ivory Tsuka

raaay

I know not good karma these days to own anything ivory, but it came my way about 15+yrs ago , obviously made around the Meji period, I would suggest circa -1860/1880 !! any idea what the signature may be , supplied both ways not even sure what is the right way up.

post-193-0-87703700-1533228241_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-12461900-1533228278_thumb.jpg

There were a large number of these produced for the export market after the opening of Japan.  The vast majority are actually bone, not ivory.  Look for Schreger lines to see if they are there.  You'll find them on the ends of the piece.

Ray,

Ah that's better, fine example of Meiji ivory carving. You are fortunate to live in a climate that's kind to ivory, no doubt why the condition is so good.  99% of blades in this style koshirae are nonsense, any possibility yours is part of that 1% exception?

Cheers,

-S-

Those would usually be in the poorly carved "all flash, no substance" mounts. Bone and poorly done ivory.
This one is very well carved and of high class, so I wouldn't expect it to be a poor blade or even a repurposed one. Possible, but those are usually put into the bad bone carving koshirae.

Steven /Stephen

It is a good blade, that was submitted to the 2008 Uk - NTHK -Shinsa , papered with what looks like 100 points on the score sheet, then they scored through the 100 and changed to

70+ points , so my theory is what did they think it was before they changed the score and made there final assessment ?? and I know they do not issue point scores that high outside of

Japan ! unfortunately on the day I could not stay for the question and answer sessions after the event to ask why they changed the score.

I think this one will be heading to Japan for a polish .

• Like 3

Brian.

To paraphrase Aesop- Fine feathers don't necessarily make fine birds.  I have seen many of these, including incredibly fine Shibayama one's that had blades of little value,  good one's are the exception.  These were costly curios to grace the.drawing room or parlor of the clueless afluent, things Japanese were all the rage.....the target consumer was not the "serious" sword collector.

-S-

Well done Gents,

Pardon my neoclassical moment, I could not resist posting this beautiful painting by an artist who was (sometimes) patronized by a God who wore short pants.  Malcolm, sounds like a difficult parting, what a wonderful thing to own.....even if only for a short while.

-S-

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..