A New Heianjo Tsuba For Comment

Chriso

G'day all, I couldn't help but post my new tsuba which i really like.

I'd be happy for any comment both for and against as i really have no details about it apart form the motif showing flowers in what i assume is brass and silver.

Cheers Chris

post-472-0-21947500-1533092761_thumb.jpg

post-472-0-27930500-1533092776_thumb.jpg

Hi Chriso.  It is a nice tsuba, with a pleasing design and the iron appears to be in good shape.  The only little knock on it is that it appears to have been polished so the brass and silver have a high shine.  Most collectors prefer the patina of age I believe.  Nice find!  

Hello:

I agree with Bob's statement above, the vast majority of Onin and Heianjo having been "cleaned up" at some point. We "violate" the usual no no's of the Antique Road show experts all the time, particularly by having blades polished, and that makes perfect sense, but "improving" other metal surfaces is pretty strongly condemned and there are few which haven't been worked over. Beyond that I think that silver is a very unusual metal to use on Heianjo tsuba and wonder just how uncommon that is. It might be quite value adding - just guessing.

Arnold F.

Agreed, lovely tsuba. However, I feel the real question is what did it look like in (say) the first 50 years of its life - and thereafter.  We read that samurai eschewed "bling" and bright metal, but were some tsuba, or parts of tsuba, intended to be bright at the outset???  Silver begs to be shiny, just like gold.  Or does "tea taste" rule here.  Just wondering.

BaZZa.

Hi Guys

Just my two cents tip...

If Heianjo it is very late Edo. Inlay on Heianjo tsuba with metals other than brass appears only in the late Edo period or so I was lead to believe.

Also all the inlay is highlighted with carving like in Yoshiro tsuba. Also silver inlay would be compatible with Yoshiro (http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/24844-kaga-yoshiro-wonderful-restoration-by-mr-hallam/).

Of course I could be completely wrong, the topic is complex and I understand a little of it...

Luca

Hello:

The question raised by BaZZa is one I would love to know the answer to. I have a Higo Dotanuki Munehiro Tenpo era daito with classic Higo kodogu all in uniformly oxidized silver along with a same saya, and I can't imagine it ever being bright, but it also might not be representative in that regard.

Arnold F.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..