Is This A True Kojima Kanemichi?

geluk68

Hello dear members,

I'm curious what your opions are regarding the markings on the tang. My search on the internet revealed the name of Kojima Kanemichi, dated august 1940 but as an unexperience owner I drop this here knowing there are a lot of experience members on board.

Appreciate all comments

History:

My grandfather was a POW during WWII and afther his liberation he brought this sword back to the Netherlands.

Edwin

post-4598-0-46969600-1532951961_thumb.jpg

post-4598-0-10013600-1532952037_thumb.jpg

post-4598-0-72285000-1532952121_thumb.jpg

Thank you Stephen for your confirmation, made my search expedition well deserved. There's a lot of info to be found but to identified the maker was a bit more difficult. I found him by accident in an other forum because I recognized the characters on a picture. For me, its time to say goodbye, this piece deserves a new owner. Lying on the ceiling is not the best spot to shine. Could you tell me what would be a fair price?

Edwin why do you want to sell such a valuable piece of FAMILY history? Personally I would treasure it and keep it in the family as a direct physical piece history from your grandfathers life and experience during WW2. Once this sword goes to a collector that link is all but lost beyond a small footnote on a tag.

• Like 3

John, I  wholeheartedly agree, if it needs to go tho, it should be to a collector rather than someone who might end up swinging it around the yard.

These gunto dont thrill our true nihonto members they don't see the value because of it being showato. I think that the fact these swords were last made for battle and carried to war are going to be more desirable 20-30-50 years down the line. Which i was told half that time ago when they were in 150 - 300 dollar range

• Like 1

First of all thank you for your comments, I really appreciate it.

I was a bit confused regarding the date Steve, because  I found two different dating methods: Showa (1926) +14 - 1 = 1939 and 1926 + 14 = 1940 (Southern Nengo method). Probably the experienced collector knows the difference for me it was making a guess at that moment.

John, it was an informed decision and I always ask myself when selling something: will it change my life drastically. In this case it isn't. The memories of my grandfather will always be with me, with or without the sword and beside that specific era there's fortunately more to tell about him.

It's a true piece of history, for some to collect for others not...finally it's just a matter of interest!

Hopefully there will be a collector who I can make happy with this sword and not just a gardener who will use it to chop his hedges... ;-)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..