Kissaki size

Justin

Hi Justin,

I heard that if the distance from

the tip of the blade to the yokote

is longer than

the yokote itself

you speak about an O-Kissaki.

If it is of similar length it´s a Chu-Kissaki and if it´s shorter you have a Ko-Kissaki.

That´s at leat what I heard so far. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Martin

I heard that if the distance from

the tip of the blade to the yokote

is longer than

the yokote itself

you speak about an O-Kissaki.

If it is of similar length it´s a Chu-Kissaki and if it´s shorter you have a Ko-Kissaki.

That´s at leat what I heard so far. Hope this helps.

I am sorry, but I cannot agree with the theory.

If the kissaki is Ko-kissaki, Chu-kissaki, O-kissaki, or even Ikubi-kissaki, generally the distance from the tip to yokote of each type of kissaki is always longer than its yokote.

Hi,

I understand the theory. :)

However, I think that the difference between ko-kissaki and chu-kissaki is not the local proportion of the kissaki. IMHO, the difference may be identified from whole proportion of the blade.

On the picture below, upper right shows ko-kissaki and upper left shows chu-kissaki.

post-20-14196734055924_thumb.jpg

Thanks very much for your responses.

I appreciate your assistance.

Moriyama-san, I understand what you're saying about looking at the shape of the blade and making a judgement, however I sometimes stll have trouble with ko-kissaki.

In your diagram I can clearly see that the image at the top left is chu-kissaki, however to me the top right image could be also be chu-kissaki as the blade width seems less than the top left image. That is why I am looking for a rough definition to help pick the difference.

I apologise in advance if this seems like a novice question.

In your diagram I can clearly see that the image at the top left is chu-kissaki, however to me the top right image could be also be chu-kissaki as the blade width seems less than the top left image.

Hi Justin,

Actually, that is the point. As for ko-kissaki blade, because the blade width near its tip is narrow, the kissaki has to be small naturally. As a result, that becomes ko-kissaki.

This is only my understanding. I am also a beginner. :)

Hi Koichi,

you are right - I checked a few online ressources and they all say that the whole proportion of the blade is decisive.

Also looking at some pictures make evident that the theory I mentioned above doesn´t seem to be (always) correct and therefore can´t be a rule.

The following Link underlines your statements and sums it all up.

http://www.ncjsc.org/kissaki-1.html

cheers,

Martin

That clears it up.

Thank you Martin and Koichi-san for your comments.

I have been a member of the NCJSC for some time now, but haven't seen that page on the website - thanks for pointing it out Martin.

Best regards

Justin

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..