Menuki Origin?

jct3602

Dear John,

While I imagine that you are more interested in the maker or school, I think that the motif is probably the story of Fujiwara no Yasumasa (from the Tales of Uji - Uji Shui Monogatari).  Yasumasa is walking under the moonlight in his court clothes and a bandit is following him intending to steal his hat and clothes.  It turns out that the thief is actually his brother, Kidomaru.  As his brother prepares to attack, Yasumasa starts playing his flute and the beauty of the music stops Kidomaru in his tracks.  This story is sometimes alluded to with the susuki (grass), moon and court hat symbols. 

post-852-0-49388200-1532199307_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

George, thank you very much!

I was thinking the motif was rice sheaves (symbol of prosperity?), just harvested on one, and then turned into abundant gold on the other.  I will enjoy looking up the tale of Fujiwara no Yasumasa.

Always wish I had stayed in contact with a friend who I shared a house with for 3 years about 45 years ago; he finished up with bachelors in French, masters in Russian, and doctorates in Chinese and Japanese, with his specialty being Heian (pretty much a study of the individual writing of a couple sources).  Would have helped a lot in translating any kind of mei (he was rather obsessive).

Yours/

john

Dear John,

My pleasure.  Yes, the "pile of gold" on your menuki is actually a hat (for example see eboshi and kanmuri) and is probably sokutai (the Japanese equivalent of white tie and tails for a royal audience).

This is not the exact hat (hats and clothes differ depending upon the rank of the Samurai) but you will see the resemblance.

post-852-0-24317300-1532212480_thumb.jpg

post-852-0-74798900-1532212518_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..