Wood Scabbard

Michaelr

I just looked at Wakizashi that has me a bit puzzled. It is a traditionally made and signed blade ( maybe Edo period) in Gunto Mounts. The only thing is that the scabbard looked like the normal type 98 scabbard but it was made of wood. It was painted with the sand like finish and mounted like a type 98. You couldn't tell the difference until you picked it up and it felt much lighter. Was this a special order, or a earlier type? I haven't seen a wood scabbard in this configuration before.

Sorry I couldn't get any pictures, the show was closing up when I spotted this one.

Thank you in advance

MikeR

Thank all of you for your help. Neil thank you for the pictures of your sword. That is exactly what I was looking at. Yours is beautiful. I am going to try and track the fellow down and see if I can buy it. If I do I will share the pictures here. Thanks again

MikeR

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..