Antique Tanto With Nbthk Papers

AnssiH

I'm selling this 160 years old antique tanto. I bought it 10 years ago from Kuraya Hashimoto in Kyoto (http://kyotokyoto.jp/shop/sc010/index.html). I have all the original receipts.

More pictures in here:

I have taken good care for it all this time and it's in excellent condition. But I haven't really had anywhere to display it for the past few years.

Will include a care taking kit, a stand, and a little ornamental pouch as seen in one of the pictures.

As a price indication, well, I paid about 2000e for the whole set, including import & tax fees. But feel free to make an offer or ask for more info. Been selling this thing locally for quite some time now so could let it go for a bit less possibly...

Well, you can PM me or e-mail me direct at anssi.hyytiainen@saunalahti.fi.

-Anssi

post-456-0-56249300-1531487363_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Seriously? there is no exceptions, it doesn't take a SLT to know what this is, a knowledgeable member confirmed it by saying whats in the paper.. Until its sold or were allowed to tell prospective buyers its true origin. ??? what to do ???

Not really following you?
It has a typical Kashu nakago jiri, and papered to a Kashu smith in Shinshinto times. Not suriage or o-suriage. So can't be less or more than a Shinshinto tanto in an unusual sugata.
Likely one of these?

KIYOMITSU (清光), 5th gen., Tenpō (天保, 1830-1844), Kaga – “Kashū Kanazawa-jū Fujiwara Kiyomitsu” (加州金沢住藤原清光), real name Fujie Kojirō (藤江小次郎), he died in the ninth year of Tenpō (1838)
KIYOMITSU (清光), 6th gen., Ansei (安政, 1854-1860), Kaga – “Kashū Kanazawa-jū Fujiwara Kiyomitsu” (加州金沢住藤原清光), “Kashū Kanazawa-jū Fujie Seijirō Fujiwara Kiyomitsu” (加州金沢住藤江清次郎藤原清光), “Kiyomitsu” (清光), “Kashū-jū Kiyomitsu Seijirō saku” (加州住清光清次郎作), “Kayō Kinpu-jū Fujiwara Kiyomitsu” (加陽金府住藤原清光), he lived in Kaga´s Kodatsuno (小立野), real name Fujie Seijirō (藤江清次郎), because his father Kojirō Kiyomitsu died young, he was fully trained and initiated to the secrets of his family by his grandfather Sukeshirō Kiyomitsu, he died on the 29th day of the ninth month Meiji nine (明治, 1876) at the age of 56, dense ko-itame, gunome-midare in ko-nie-deki

Nice to see there's interest towards my tanto :)

Ken-Hawaii, I copied the pictures also to Google Photos which will allow you to see the pictures without downloading the full resolution ones:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JqWshg8YEDfZ6q5r7

I'll add this link to the OP as soon as I figure out how to edit it :)

For maximum zoomability, the full resolution ones are still in Dropbox.

I appreciate all the comments regarding its origin, because I can't read the papers myself. I've been told it's Shinshinto a few times by more knowledgeable people. I've been told that it's - possibly - been originally made as an ornamental piece to a dress or a uniform of some sort.

All discussion and observations are welcome by me; don't mind knowing more about it myself :)

Best regards,

-Anssi

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..