Hada Features

Hi all. I have this little tanto that I have posted before and people thought maybe sengo or shithara. It still amazes me how you can look at a blade time after time and still see things in it that you missed before. Today I was cleaning it and noticed this sparkly diamond like feature flashing back at me thoughout the hada. It just looks like sparkles that you may see in granite or quartz. It also looks like it has utsuri in it as well. The blade has some masame on one side and a tightish mokume hada on the rest of it. I have tried to photograph it but to no avail.

Not sure what this may be called or if it is particular to a school/method of forging ?

post-3518-0-90610000-1531292886_thumb.jpg

post-3518-0-57707700-1531292914_thumb.jpg

post-3518-0-04963600-1531293013_thumb.jpg

Chris

Not seeing anything in your images so I am guessing but what you are describing sounds like ji-nie. Nie is formed from harder steel (martensite) which shows itself as very small bright (sparking) dots. They are  often described as crystal, which they arent, but this gives you some idea of their brightness. When these nie granules combine they form larger features within the ji-hada such as chickei and activity within the hamon such as inazuma and kinsuji. I think what you are seeing is likely to be something of this nature.

edit- sorry Geraint beat me to it

Hi all. very hard to get photos of it. It runs right accross the face of the blade and follows the hada pattern. In a certain light it stands out and looks a little like sun on frost crystals. Best I can describe it. So ji nie can appear all over the blade as well as the hamon ?

thanks for the input.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..