Possible Amata Sadayoshi Blade?

Joorsh

Thanks everyone, I'm glad to hear you're all thinking the same thing as me  :thumbsup:

I had the pleasure of speaking with Andrew earlier and he's happy to do an assessment of the blade and we'll take it from there!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Josh,

for your information (from Markus book):

SADAYOSHI (貞吉), Taishō (大正, 1912-1926), Niigata – “Echigo no Kuni-jū Amata Sadayoshi” (越後国住 天田貞吉), “Hoketsu Shibata-jū Amata Sadayoshi” (北越新発田住天田貞吉), he was the father of Amata Akitsugu (昭次), he died young, in April 1937 at the age of 36, he lived in Niigata´s Nakaura (中浦), shinpin no retsu (Akihide)

post-683-0-18988300-1532091303_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

You found his photo! AMAZING!

Thank you so much for this, that's terribly exciting. I have saved it with my other research and images that I am compiling for this sword. That's the first time I have ever seen his face.

Please let me know if you find any other images or information on him!

Regarding the sword, it should be with Andrew by next week.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I just thought I'd give a little bit on an update on this sword for anyone interested.

I took the sword to Melbourne to have it inspected and assessed for a possible restoration by Andrew Ickeringill of touken-togishi.com. First of all, thanks for the recommendations on using him guys - excellent service by Andrew and a very nice man. Highly recommended.

Andrew said it looked like the sword had suffered a very hard life, so even though it was indeed a genuine Amata Sadayoshi dai-mei by Sadaroku, the cost of a restoration would be high because of the damage it has suffered.

Here's some of the damage Andrew noted:

There are many deep rust pits in and around the kissaki.
There are many chips along the cutting edge and kissaki.
There are many deep rust pits in several other areas of the blade.
There is rust damage to the nakago (tang) and signature.
There is surface rust in many areas of the blade.

Suffice to say, looking at the list above the restoration cost will be quite significant - given the huge amount of work and hours that will be required on it.

The sword is now safely back home with me. I am seriously keen for a full restoration, even though it may not be a good idea from a financial investment point of view. I just love the story behind this piece and the history that goes with it, and actually having the complete history of it is such a big deal to me. Unfortunately cash is a bit tight right now so I'm going to sit on this for now, but I'll keep you all posted if I can save up the funds to give this sword the love it deserves.

Hope you're all staying well and safe.

Josh.

• Like 6

Hi Josh, thank you for sharing this update with us. Even if you are not moving forward right away with restoration, it is good that you had a chance to meet with Andrew and receive his in-hand assessment. Look forward to hearing any future updates on this sword you would like to share.

Stay well,

Ray

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..