Tanegashima Translation Of Characters

Gentleman, I have joined the forum because I have recently purchased a Japanese matchlock and would be grateful if someone could please tell me the meaning of the characters on the underside of the barrel.

I have been an antique gun collector for 50 years and this is my first matchlock. I am happy to supply further images if required.

Many thanks and look forward to hearing from you.

Roy

post-4579-0-02726400-1530995281_thumb.jpeg

post-4579-0-80893800-1530995291_thumb.jpeg

post-4579-0-78324500-1530995320_thumb.jpeg

post-4579-0-80960200-1530995402_thumb.jpeg

江州国友... 作?

Ko-Shu (Go-Shu) Kunitomo Fuji... Saku? Can you take two or three angled shots of the lower two or three Kanji?

I have checked the stamp of the locksmith but have not located it yet. Can you show us an overall photo of the gun. (Probably a local Kunitomo gun, but many Kunitomo smiths travelled and worked throughout Japan.)

1st pic - Niju Makibari

2nd pic - too zoomed out to see clearly but the first two characters are 江州 or Goushu (aka Omi province)

Hi Thank you so much for your comments and help your response is much appreciated I am going to post additional images and would appreciate your comments

Roy

江州国友... 作?

Ko-Shu (Go-Shu) Kunitomo Fuji... Saku? Can you take two or three angled shots of the lower two or three Kanji?

I have checked the stamp of the locksmith but have not located it yet. Can you show us an overall photo of the gun. (Probably a local Kunitomo gun, but many Kunitomo smiths travelled and worked throughout Japan.)

Hi Thank you so much for your comments and help your response is much appreciated I am going to post additional images and would appreciate your comments

Roy

1st pic - Niju Makibari

2nd pic - too zoomed out to see clearly but the first two characters are 江州 or Goushu (aka Omi province)

Roy

Good morning Roy.,

Could you please post a closeup photograph the Kamon (Silver Circle) at the base of the barrel.

It looks like a varient of Maru ni Moko (Maru ni - Contained within a circle  Moko - Stylised crest element based upon a Japonica Flower motif).

It is the lozenge shape in the dead center that will qualify its full name.

Sometimes the Kamon is a direct link to the Clan origin, but more often added to increase its value when sold post 1868.

The most common Kamon encountered would be a variant upon the three leaf patterns contained within a circle used by the Tokugawa families.

The Kamon (Crest) is also known by the terms Mon, Monshou and Mondokoro

I think this looks like a very health matchlock. Got several features besides the signature that points towards Kunitomo. The caliber looks to be just in the border region between hunting and military grade. I think the decorations at the backend of the gun might have been added later together with the brass bands. As there are four healthy mekugi-pins, these bands are purely decorative.

I belive the decoration near the pan is of a sakura flower as are the flowers around the mekugi. This you sometimes see on guns made in the Osaka-region. Perhaps this gun was made in Kunitomo and then shipped off to Osaka to be sold and there getting the added decorations?

Nice shape to the pan. Also liking the shape of the rear sight.

A very good first buy! Welcome to the club :)

Jan

Many thanks for your reply sadly I have attached my latest attempt but I am unable to get a better image of the lower of the three kanji as it appears to have been in a vice at some time and it has crushed the characters

I have posted several more images of the gun and I have attached an image of the Kamon.

Regards

Roy

江州国友... 作?

post-4579-0-77542700-1531154301_thumb.jpeg

post-4579-0-47063900-1531154330_thumb.jpeg

Thank you Roy,

The details on the Kamon are not that precise, but there looks to be some indent detail within the four points of the  central lozenge.

It looks a little like Hanabishi which means flowers or petals in a diamond configuration.

So my call is Maru ni Mokko ni Hanabishi.  :dunno:

Anyone else?

• Like 1

Good morning Justin,

Maru ni Mokkou refers to the outer parts, the usual form of description in the kamon books is to add another ni and then the description of the central lozenge.

It may be in one of the Daimyo Bukan, so if we can find the modified Hotta/Takeda Bishi, we should have the correct name for yours.

Here's a link to the six volume Daimyo Bukan from 1774 at the National Diet Library.

http://dl.ndl.go.jp/info:ndljp/pid/2605727?tocOpened=1

I'll have a trawl through today, pesky clients allowing,  and see what comes up.  :thumbsup:

Hi Again John 

Try Book 2 pages 64,65 & 66 Not exact match, but getting there

• Like 1

江州国友... 作?

Hi Piers

Did you have any more luck interpreting the Character on the additional image I posted or indeed with the lock smith your help is much appreciated.

Roy

Sadly that picture on its side refuses to allow me to copy it and then straighten it for better concentration on what is left of the Mei.

In order to try and open the Bisen these barrels are often placed under huge pressure and torsion in a massive vice. The result can be a broken Bisen, but more likely unsightly damage to the barrel. A pity, especially as a little thought for wrapping could avoid such damage.

Gentlemen for those I have offended I offer my humble and most sincere apologies you can put it down to shear ignorance on my part. I was so passionate about discovering what this most interesting gun was all about, a passion I know that almost all of you share, a passion I would add that has become somewhat diminished.

Justin I thank you for coming to my defence and assistance I feel somewhat alone out here and at my age I make mistakes of judgement.

Malcolm you were there from the start my concern is that I may have offended you most of all.

Piers my thanks to you for allowing me briefly to enter this wonderful world ( and this form ) of Japanese art.

Roy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..