Hishi Theme Tsuba

Gerald

A sort of hishi theme iron sukashi tsuba , 67 mm X 65 mm x 5 mm at the seppa dai to 4mm at the mimi .
Because it's a long time wearing tsuba forged iron layers kizu appears , and small tekkotetsu  on the rim .
Mumei
 Possible muromachi end early edo period  ? Maybe Owari tsuba ?

post-4065-0-78434200-1530138132_thumb.jpg

post-4065-0-39862000-1530138264_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Gerald,

it is a lovely little TSUBA, and the shape of the MIMI and symmetrical design may indeed point to OWARI. My feeling is that it is not very old.

The visible layers (not KIZU!) have nothing to do with wear - how would you expect abrasion in the SUKASHI openings? It has mainly to do with the initial patination process.

....Because it's a long time wearing tsuba forged iron layers kizu appears , and small tekkotetsu  on the rim.....

I agree , a lovely tsuba , thank you !
In fact a littlle small part at a layer of the laminated iron start to unsolder . I think it was not at the tsuba " origin " , maybe it's due by getting old and rusty years after years ... .

Gerald,

just a short remark: les TSUBA sont forgées, alors soudées, et non brasées. TSUBA are forged, so they are welded and not soldered.

But you are correct that corrosion can work in the tiny gaps, causing damage in the long range.

Thanks for your kind remark . I didn't used the right term . In France old guys say " soudure a la forge " on blacksmithing ... . Bad translation de soudure = soldering in place of welding ... .
Excuse my French .

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..