G'day all,

Perhaps these questions have been asked before but I was unable to search them out. Is there a general rule on how old a sword should be before being submitted for Shinsa or can any period sword be submitted? And, can anyone tell me the sequence of events on the actual day?

Cheers,

Guest reinhard

There seems to be a confusion about the term Shinsa. First of all you need to know which organisation you want to adress to: There is the Nihon Bijutsu Token Hozon Kyokai (NBTHK) with its headquarter in the sword museum in Tokyo. Unpapered objects handed in for the first time underly a different procedure than objects of Juyo level handed in for Tokubetsu Juyo. Generally all objects for their Shinsa must be brought to them in Tokyo. The other organisation is the Nihon Token Hozon Kai (NTHK) which arranges Shinsa in different places, even outside of Japan. I'm not familiar with their customs. Other members might help you from here.

reinhard

Thanks Reinhard.

Should have mentioned that I'm after info specific to the NTHK. They are visiting Australia next year. I have two swords, one a shinto katana and the other a wakizashi made in 1979. I'm wondering if I should bother to take the wak.

Cheers,

It has been a number of years since attending an NTHK shinsa, so unless things have changed considerably; first, you'll need to reserve a time slot for each item to be submitted by sending in a preset money deposit to the organizers.

Once you arrive at the designated time slot there will be a drop off table where the sword needs to be stripped down to the bare blade, there the sword is combined with the necessary paper work to go through the process.

If memory serves, depending on the work load, it will take from an hour plus to several hours for a sword to work its way through the process, that is unless it gets 'pink papered', bounced, in which case the sword goes through quickly, in either case your name will be called at the check out when finished, where you pick-up the item along with the working paper to see the result. If the sword passes about 6 months later the 'origami' arrives from Japan.

G'day Craig and all,

I'm the co-ordinator for the Sydney NTHK shinsa here in Oz. What Franco said is prettty much how it works. I will have booking details up very soon on the website http://www.sydneytokenkai.com . Check on it around the end of the month.

It is also correct that you can not get a kanteisho paper on a sword by a living smith.

cheers,

Adrian S

Craig

Can you provide me with some info on the NTHK Shinsa (dates, venue etc) ?

I am also in Australia and would like to have my Eikyo Bizen wakizashi inspected "in hand" as so far I have only received (the very helpful) opinions from members of this forum.

Sorry to slightly hijack this thread, but can I have a clarification as to whether an unpolished blade can be offered up for Shinsa?

Cheers

Thanks Adrian, it was me who emailed you the other day - with almost 12 months to go I hope I don't get accused of not being prepared!! ;)

Both of the smiths who created my swords have passed away (Kobayashi Yasuhiro passed away in 1989 and Tadayoshi...well I'm just hoping its a real Tadayoshi, 1st gen will do... :rofl: ) so I guess that means it's worth bringing both along. Thanks for the info. Let me know if you need any help with organisation side of things - though I don't know what I can do from Coffs Hbr....

Hi Stephen, check out Adrian's post for the link to the website, that's all the info available at the moment. Not sure about the unpolished query - I'm guessing that it would have to be in a fair polish state in order to inspect it properly, others may be able to inform you better.

Good to hear from some fellow Aussies on the board!

Cheers.. :beer:

Sorry to slightly hijack this thread, but can I have a clarification as to whether an unpolished blade can be offered up for Shinsa?

Cheers

As long as you can see something in the blade (ie. it's not completely rusted over with no visible hamon etc.) you can submit and get NTHK papers.

A gentle reminder :badgrin:, that in past shinsa episodes approximately 65% of all swords submitted were pink papered, many simply based on condition or lack there of. So, when swords display few tell tale characteristics, exactly what should anyone expect from the shinsa judges? If you can't see it and kantei, within reason, your own sword, don't be surprised when the judges hand reaches out for the pink.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..