Ww2 Sword Identification, Mei Translation Help Please?

Migsz

Hi All,

I'm new to collecting swords and have my 1st sword that I would appreciate assistance in Identifying sword, translating mei on both saya and nakago if possible?

I've been told that the sword is possibly tachi koshirae mounted or handachi?

If someone can please assist with the swordmaker and any dates - this is the only mei found on sword. Thank you.

post-4555-0-31678600-1529109129_thumb.jpg

post-4555-0-69199200-1529109171_thumb.jpg

post-4555-0-08691600-1529109248_thumb.jpg

post-4555-0-16407000-1529109478_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

Can anyone help please with the translation?

Is it an unusual mei translate?

I can't find anything that comes close - i did know the last character is made, but can't with anything else out.

Thanks

Dear Miguel.

The tsuka and tsuba are indeed tachi style mounts of a type quite commonly seen and assumed to be late 19th or early 20th century.  I can't see enough of the saya to suggest that it is civilian under a leather wrap but from the images I would think not.

Assuming that the tsuka and fittings fit the blade well then it is reasonable to assume that they were mounted with the blade when it was made and carried in WWII.  Have a close look at the end of the tsuka where the blade fits, if you see signs of slivers of added wood or some other form of adjustment then it might be that the tsuka was added to the sword to replace a damaged or absent hilt after the war.  First impressions are that they all belong together.

Enjoy!

All the best.

Thank you all very much for your input, it is greatly appreciated!!

Like George has commented I dont think it it is seki - i will post more straight on pics and closer and hopefully this can help.

Do we have any idea of date or period of sword?

Also is this a machine made or hand made blade?

Thank you all very much. It just shows the diversity of knowledgeable people on this site....again thank you very much for your responses it has been enlightening.

I will post more close pics shortly...

Regards

Miguel

Dear John,

Thank you so much for your input....it is really appreciated.

Do you know what era this sword may be dated? And is it probable that it is hand forged or machine made?

I think your last opinion may be correct. Although I am still unsure about the seki or first kangi

Thanks again for your time

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..