Hosho Stripes

Kanenaga

Older Yamato Hosho blades from the Kamakura period often show prominent longitudinal bands of light and dark steel which more-or-less follow the masame grain.  There seems to be not much written about these.  Does anyone know what these are called?  

Shown is the Kurayama Hosho, a national treasure tanto.

post-2490-0-44153100-1528678531_thumb.jp

post-2490-0-44153100-1528678531_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Great thread for we "masame guys." Clearly the 'grey lines' of the Hosho tanto are hada based, so the "chikei connection" seems off the mark. IMHO! You see that rather broad banding with a masame base is fairly typical of late shinto swords, too, both in Sendai and Mito. I wonder if it might be somehow related to the use of slightly different steel.. I wonder if this is somehow related to what we would today cal "high contrast steel."

Peter

• Like 2

I tend to agree with Peter.  Ray's illustrations are clearly chikei, but these Hosho lines seem different -- broader and more "organized."  Layering of different steels seems a good possibility.  When Norishige did this sort of thing it's called matsukawa.  I thought perhaps these Hosho things might also have a name.

• Like 1

My understanding had been that this feature was nie-based, and the same is seen in fine, early Soshu where these bands are largely composed of connected nie (but at a distance do appear to be layers of different color). It seems that certain layers may be more inclined to "take nie" during yaki-ire, due to the mixed composition of the material. Regardless, Darcy has some excellent photos of a Jûyô Hosho at the link below.

https://yuhindo.com/hosho-sadakiyo/

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..