Wwii Sword

I have a WWII Japanese Army officers (family?) samurai sword This has been in my family for over 73 years I rescued it about 12 years ago before any more wear was done to it this Measures 37" in length (27" for the blade and 10" for the hilt (handle) the scabbard I believe is covered in eel skin maybe just leather? there is kanji written on the base of the blade once the tsuka (handle) is removed this maybe makes this sword quite old

Actually I think its Ishihara Yoshisada

石原義定  (although I noticed a few places where the name was listed as 義 which can also be read Yoshisada, so I'm not 100% sure). Markus notes only 義定. 

Michael,

I thinks it reads as Steve wrote: ISHIHARA YOSHISADA. It is not a SAMURAI sword, but a military one. The signature has nothing to do with the age of the blade.

To make reading MEI a little easier, it helps to have well focused photos of the NAKAGO (tang) with tip upwards. 

Hi Jean what you mean with not a samurai sword. The term samurai sword is wide.

Samurai means servant. In this case is a gunto a samurai sword.

For me is a samurai sword only a katana or tachi forged before 1874?

I did not really like the term samurai sword to decide between different types and periods. What is with all others like Ashigaru, peasant, traders, women which carry swords in different length?

Are Shinsakuto Samurai Swords?

Michael ist there a stamp over the signature?

When you google around for  "NOSHU JU"  ISHIHARA YOSHISADA SAKU you will found some  swords from this smith from Seki, Gifu

With no date on the nakago, i think between 1939 - 1945

• 2 years later...

This post is very old but I came across it in a Google search, and finally made myself an account, to say - over at the Oshigata database of WWII smiths there's one example of his signature. I found it while trying to figure out the signature on a sword I bought just a lil bit ago - which, it turns out, was also made by Ishihara Yoshisada. There's also another one up for sale on Hallowell & Co. I've compiled pictures of all relevant tangs for comparison/reference.

The signature varies very little stylistically, which is *SO* nice.

post-5501-0-99501200-1596267902_thumb.jpeg

post-5501-0-64019300-1596267956_thumb.jpeg

post-5501-0-62351400-1596267983_thumb.jpeg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..