Ww2 Navt Sword?

I was given two Japanese swords by the daughter of a deceased WW2 veteran.  She said this one was a "Navy sword".  It has an "anchor" stamp and a friend translated it as "Tairo made this". Seems odd for a machined blade...Did not want to clog the site so only two small photos.  Any information appreciated.  post-4541-0-80539200-1527942707_thumb.jpgpost-4541-0-66791000-1527942742_thumb.jpg

us... can we have a first name to talk to?

We LIKE pictures. It's the best way to live vicariously through other peoples' aquisitions! So bring on the pictures of your other sword too!

I would say the majority of WWII swords were signed. Plenty weren't but I'd say most were. The smiths had several appretices that could sign for him, and also, sometimes the polisher could affix the smith's signature.

With a better picture of the anchor stamp I can tell you which one it is. There were only 2, and yours seems it was the Toyokawa Navy Arsenal stamp, but a better pic will tell.

• Like 1

Not sure how to reply directly, but I'll try.  Thanks for the info, the daughter said it was "some special steel so it wouldn't rust".  Not sure what I did when setting up profile, don't know why name is not showing, I'm not THAT paranoid.  Attaching another photo of the "anchor" stamp (I hope).

post-4541-0-39387500-1527964580_thumb.jpg

Many don't use their names as the login name, so usually they sign their posts. Your username is your name, so no problem Robert.
Yep, the use of these "stainless steel" blades was quite innovative back then, and mainly used for naval swords.

Many don't use their names as the login name, so usually they sign their posts. Your username is your name, so no problem Robert.

Yep, the use of these "stainless steel" blades was quite innovative back then, and mainly used for naval swords.

I appreciate all the info from this forum.  I was uneasy because the steel in the blade is so different from my other swords.  I trust that the lady who gave me the sword believed what she was told, but I wanted opinions from those who really know Japanese military swords.  I have the same concerns about my friend's translation of the inscription...others may see them differently.  While I manage to get along in the European languages (and even a little Arabic), Japanese remains a mystery.  I am working on it but still a beginner.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..