Hawley - Japanese Swordsmiths 1967 Vs 1998

Hi,

I have the opportunity to obtain a copy of the 1967 version of Hawley's Japanese Swordsmiths.

I am wondering if the information is still relevant? Or is it all obsolete compared to the 1998 version. I guess my question is... is the 1998 version completely updated or just a few points here and there.

Also this is my first post here so I will introduce myself. I have been a fan of Japanese Swords since childhood when I saw the movie "The Bodyguard" in the 90's (try not to laugh). I have been collecting and reading sword books since the early 2000's. So far my book collection is mostly introductory texts, a few museum catalog books and a couple of Japanese language books on Tanto. I also have "the connoisseur's book of Japanese swords" which is the one I refer to most often.

I am looking at getting into some more technical stuff before I make my first visit to Japan (hopefully next year)

Thanks,

Matt

Hello:

I believe you are referring to the so called "Blue Hawley" which is two volumes, the thicker 1966 and the thinner 1967, and they should come with a thin supplement titled Supplement #3, containing 400 additional names. Why I also own the later Brown Hawley I will never know as it adds nothing except the incorporation of the foregoing in one large and awkward book. The earlier Hawley books are much more handy and better bound as well.

Arnold F.

Hi Matt,

There are 3 editions of Mr. Hawley's book.  The 1st, as Arnold has said, is the 2 blue volume set (the slim 3rd volume is nearly impossible to find).  This 1st edition listed about 10 or 12,000 smiths with signatures in both Japanese and English (Romanji), provinces, dates, and a relevant point value.  The 2nd edition: Japanese Swordsmiths Revised, 1998, is the same except greatly expanded to include about 32,000 smiths.  The 3rd edition, the Commemorative Centenary Edition of 1998, is the same as the 2nd except it is a 2 volume format with mistakes of the 2nd edition corrected.  You can see pictures and more thorough descriptions of the 3 editions on my website: http://www.japaneseswordbooksandtsuba.com/search/node/Japanese%20swordsmiths

Grey

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Sorry to necro this thread, but I just bought this 3-volume set, can't wait to get it! Matt, I didn't see anything about a pdf format, where and how do you get that?

On 5/28/2018 at 4:26 AM, MatthewD said:

available in pdf

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..