A Chawan I Really Like

Robin

Hello guys, there is this chawan.

It's probably not old and nothing special, but this one is sitting on my computer desk in front of me for several weeks now.

I don't know why, but I find this one very pleasing to the eye...and it's nice to hold it in my hands also.

From Ebay without a box, the seller listed is as an Iga-yaki chawan, about 30 years old. No further information.

I'm not sure it's Iga-yaki...it doesn't seem to fit the box for it. I tried to find the kiln or potter mark, but no success.

post-4355-0-19031400-1527359391_thumb.jpg post-4355-0-70433700-1527359407_thumb.jpg post-4355-0-81595400-1527359424_thumb.jpg post-4355-0-11024900-1527359452_thumb.jpg post-4355-0-13407700-1527359469_thumb.jpg

The outside has a fairly rough black charred surface with a green and some red brown ash glaze on the front only.

The same ash glaze on the inside facing the one on the outside. The rest of the inside has a black and brown glaze. Some small glass like white dots.

It's about 12,5 cm wide, about 7,5 cm tall. 265 grams.

Can someone tell me more about this chawan?

Again...likely not special in any way or form...but I just love it.  :unsure:

Thanks guys,

Robin

• Like 2

Hello Robin,

Hello guys... :)

I am still a learning about Japanese Ceramics.

I will try help from what I watch and 'learned", or, "My thoughts".

I started venturing into Iga-yaki a few weeks ago,

after Dan posted his Iga yunomi.

You say it did not have a box, but, after, you say the box is a tight fit for the Bowl.

So, I was not sure if you meant the box stampings,  and seller listed it as Iga.

Your Chawan looks like made on a wheel.

Different Varity/class of Iga ware (?) ,  from those hand made "Wabi-Sabi", rolled pieces stacked and blended together ones.

The clay looks kind of  dark. I was looking if got lots of sand grains in the gouge lines.

Greens are 'Natural Glaze" from the high heat ( ?) , but,

the piece does not look as distorted/distressed as those multiple fired pieces usually associated with Iga-yaki  (  al la Momoyama  )..

I don't even know if the Potter's stamp is the right way.

Is your photo "Up-side Down"?

Posted below is the Potter's Seal index that was on the 'net..

Harder than playing "Where's Waldo"..

Hint:  Ask your kids to help.. They are good at this kind stuff. :laughing:

Alton

post-2090-0-67807700-1527376192_thumb.jpg

post-2090-0-63456100-1527376205_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I'm not sure it's Iga-yaki...it doesn't seem to fit the box for it.

With this I try to say....I'm not sure it is Iga. There was no box. 

The stamp is very unclear, so it might be upside down. I looked at it both ways...and neither makes much sense to me.

It's made on a wheel for sure....the gouged lines are likely done on the wheel also....it's a single gouge like a corkscrew.

I don't think the clay itself is dark (see the light underside of the foot)..the surface looks "smoked".

The light clay also showes underneath the green glaze, so the blackening happened after the glaze.

About the sand grains. The surface is rough with sand grains sticking out and pits where sand grains have been.

Robin :)

Robin,

that is a nice full shape for a (contemporary?) CHAWAN!

I like the colours, although they might have come out a little differently with a longer firing. What you call rough or sandy could have been caused by a slight underfiring, but this effect can also be seen on pots which have stood behind a bigger vessel. It is always a big game when the fire does its work and plays with clay and ash!

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..