What Is This Feature On A Blade Called?

Shogun8

Hello All,

I visited a friend today and he showed me his new katana that he purchased in Japan recently. The sword is koto and is published (and through my friend, the book guru, Jo Anseeuw I was able to find the book from the 70s that contained my friend's sword).

The sword was very elegant and had a tapered mune that one finds on naginata (can't remember what this feature is called). However, what caught my eye is that the sword had engraved lines on one side of the blade that intermittently (discontinuously) ran along the length of the blade on one side but was continuous on the other side. They were not horimono and were located just below the shinogi-ji (I think). I have never seen these before (which doesn't say much because I'm not that experienced with blades). Does anyone know what these lines are called? I found them quite beautiful.

I've tried to capture one section of the blade with this feature, but as we all know, it's very difficult to photograph a blade in polish.

post-797-0-80127900-1527199415_thumb.jpeg

Hi John,

Are you sure these aren't horimono?  Looks like remnants of gomabashi-bi (chop stick hi) that have been polished down.

Grey

They may very well be that, Grey. I'm limited by my lack of knowledge and experience and had never seen these before. I'll look up gomabashi-bi to see more examples - thank you!

• Like 1

In that Norimitsu, soe-hi...

Indeed, forgive my shorthand. :-)

FWIW, the the horimono on the blade in this thread look more like soe-hi to me due to how narrow they are, but I can’t speak to whether or not seeing them without another hi changes the label.

And thus we reacheth the extent of my expertise here. :-)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..