Mune Stamp

vajo

David Flynn started a hole subject on stamps in this very section

Yeah, I love it! But it’s so many pages and most of them are filled with conversation. I have condensed the stamps from that thread and combined them with stamps from Fuller and Gregory and from Swordindex.com. I’ll need to contact the authors to get their permission to use their material of course, but I doubt that anyone will mind as long as I credit them with the applicable pieces.
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Stephen,

Assuming the name is not the smith that made it, I haven't found anyone or any source that goes into the meanings of mune stamping. Most speculate that it was the polisher. A couple have guessed that it was the buyer who contracted the blade.

Maybe someone who knows more about smiths, polishers, and WWII can chime it, but I know nothing about these other than the ones that are clearly arsenal inspection stamps.

Interesting google find: Hiroshi Yamauchi, 3rd president of Nintendo, and wealthiest Japanese, "was put to work in a military factory" during WWII! Could it be???

From Markus book it reads Morimitsu from Fukuoka.

Mei reads:

筑 後 住 盛 光 之 作

Chikugo jū Morimitsu kore saku

昭 和 二 十 年 三 月

March 1944

Thanks Chris. That pretty well pins it to Fukuoak then. Slight correction on the date though, Showa 20 is 1945 (have to subtract 1).

• Like 1

This smith’s given name was Tatsumi Kinzo, and he was born May 9th, 1898. Morimitsu was from Fukuoka and was a student of the famous gendai smith Suetsugu Shigemitsu, along with Oyama Nobumitsu. He also signed Chikugo Kuroki ju Morimitsu. (From Ray's description)

maybe some help here 

any idea what Yamauchi 1 pertains to on mune

attachicon.gif Yamauchi1.jpg

This 山(Yama) could be indcate city named 山口(Yamaguchi) or 山形( Yamagata ).

As my reply for the 福(Fuku) mark on #16 .

福岡(Fukuoka), 福島(Fukushima), 山口(Yamaguchi) and 山形( Yamagata ),these cities all had few 陸軍受命刀匠(Rikugun Jumei Tosho) in WW2.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..