Help With Sword Id

Posted over on ar15.com...

Looks like a Gunto blade and has the serial number on the habaki...He says someone cleaned it/polished it themselves a while ago, which is unfortunate. The Nakago looks off in terms of shape, and there are no file marks...but that could be because of the "cleaning."

The shape looks OK to my untrained eye, and you can actually see some of the grain structure in the last picture...which is surprising.

Thanks for any translation help!

Dave

dkFnv5m.jpg

U1NMmTO.jpg

o4h2ql7.jpg

RxbBkCW.jpg

Dave,

that looks like an attempt to copy a Japanese blade, but ended up as a fail, The NAKAGO is revealing, the mounts as well.

My thoughts as well...but the beautiful shape of the blade, and overall appearance of the metal/grain structure, threw me off a little...

But yeah the nakago is very suspect...

Serial numbers are actually found on a lot of genuine ‘last ditch’ swords. It's not a sign of a Chinese sword. My mate's neighbors found a pair of swords under the floorboards of an old farmhouse they renovated and both had numbers. I've got a leather covered sword from a vet, same thing. There are plenty of examples from that final period where you get all sorts of weird and wonderful creations.

That's interesting, Steve. I had not known that. And after re-looking at the pic of the full blade, I don't see the swirling lines of damascus. I was going off the close-up of the fuchi.

I would like to hear from someone who reads Japanese. The kanji look like junk, as does the nakago.

Dave, could we get a good focused shot of a close-up of a section of the blade? The full-length one is just a tad out-of-focus.

My bad, after rereading your comment that's clear. You do sometimes see NCO sword in Shin Gunto mounts, I recall there was a discussion on here about the army allowing a concession for NCO swords in officers mounts due to the shortage of swords during the Manchurian campaign.

The nakago looks not good. No yasurime, the signature makes no sense. The no. on the habaki is seen often on fake swords. The ito wrap is not Japanese. The blade around the hamon area looks like a chinese repro.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..