Mystery Artefact

Ford Hallam

I was hoping this curious object might be familiar to someone in our eclectic community.

It's gilt bronze and was extremely well made. I don't know if it's Japanese but I'm fairly sure it's from that part of the world, it looks somehow Buddhist.

post-164-0-23500100-1526224336_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-79699400-1526224369_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-52972700-1526224404_thumb.jpgpost-164-0-01517100-1526224449_thumb.jpgpost-164-0-20476500-1526224527_thumb.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ford

Hello Ford,

looks like a monk staff for me. Google for khakkhara 6 rings. Some of the staff remembers me on your artefact. Maybe the lower end of a staff?

Same initial reaction. Buddhist monk staffhead missing the thin 6 rings?

the bronze patina looks artificial-

the bronze cast looks very amateurish....

in sum- not old.

(least for me)

what shall this thing represent ? ( i do agree with you).

( i have to add that good cast should look other...but? what i do tell you? :)  you equally do know it much better!)

in sum- throw it away- this is not antique- nor good!

me

Similarity in form is there, but design elements don't look quite right for an asian buddhist attribution. Also workmanship looks overly tight in execution...look at the termination of the scrolls. I would guess a bit of european decorative metalwork, probably french 19th century. Production quality looks excellent to me, patina natural.

Looks European to me - rather too symmetrical to be Japanese in my opinion. I note the small hole at the end of the handle suggesting it was hung on a cord, the whole thing having a 17th century religious look about it. I wonder if the circular hole once held a relic with thin glass either side.

Ian Bottomley

A monstrance? It would be a pitiful example, even though gilded. Nothing to hold the luna and no latching mech for the glass. I am thinking some sort of finial, but to what, is the question. Roof peak maybe, it has weathering and verdigris, maybe? John

Be it finial or pendant, think in multiples, this seems one bit of a larger whole. Definately not a monstrance. The rather ambiguous design says later 19th century european revivalist design...oddly familiar but not an exact model of what it purports to be.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..