Koa Isshin Mantetsu Odd Fittings?

Sebastian,

You are right that it's a Mantetsu, Koa Isshin, dated Spring 1943.

What is it about the fittings that you think are out of place? Does the blade not fit in the saya properly? Missing seppa are common. My dad's Koa was missing all tsuba and seppa, the saya band and the ishizuke. I've since replaced them all.

From what I can see in the pictures, the gold seppa needs to be flipped. The side facing the saya needs to be facing the tsuba.

• 2 weeks later...

Sebastian,

I noticed from your last picture - it looks like the nub of a cloth sarute still imbedded in the tsuka. My Dad's Koa had the same thing! I searched for a cloth one to replace it, and wound up buying ($200) a tsuka from ebay that had one in it, and swapped it into my dad's tsuka once I got it home.

I noticed from your last picture - it looks like the nub of a cloth sarute still imbedded in the tsuka. My Dad's Koa had the same thing!

So does mine Bruce. I believe it originally had cord but was replaced at some time.

This is what the nub looks like removed. The brass "wedge" pokes into the end of the fabric saurte wedging into the inside-end of the barrel screw.

Exactly! Before paying the seller I noticed that and as a begginer, I thought there was something wrong with the authenticity, but further research made it clear it's a fine piece. Bruce, you had it polished&restored?

For the guys that wrote me in private inquiring about selling: When I first posted  I was thinking about another blade and I was short some 2k. In the meantime , that blade sold, also I posted before actually having the Koa in hand. When I received it I was amazed of how perfect and razor sharp it is, so I'm not planning on selling yet. And even if I were to sell, the price would be in 3 to 4k euro range. For the record I payed 1.8k euro+taxes around 1.95k euro. The seller clearly did not know the value of it. I came across the blade because I practice iaido and occasionally do tameshigiri and heard the perfect cuts that can be achieved with this blade.

But if I ever sell it, I will post it first here.

Looks like it is the same thing Bruce. Which makes sense I think. My Mantetsu was carried in combat, where a cord loop would not be the strongest option. Are you sure this is what the cord sarute looks like though? It also could be ‘packing’ material for the gap between screws.

post-3293-0-22714000-1527223363_thumb.jpg

Looks like it is the same thing Bruce. Which makes sense I think. My Mantetsu was carried in combat, where a cord loop would not be the strongest option. Are you sure this is what the cord sarute looks like though? It also could be ‘packing’ material for the gap between screws.

Steve,

It matched the replacement cord, both color and style. Plus it stuck out the screw hole as if ripped off. The other end was missing.

Exactly! Before paying the seller I noticed that and as a begginer, I thought there was something wrong with the authenticity, but further research made it clear it's a fine piece. Bruce, you had it polished&restored?

Yes, and worth it! Yours looks so good, it hardly seems to need a polish, though!

post-3487-0-64122000-1527260098_thumb.jpg

post-3487-0-25242900-1527260136_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Impressive polish! How much did you paid for, if i'm not to indiscreet?

Sebastian, I paid about $2,300 USD. I got the Koa from my Dad, so free. So, with the polish and the purchased items to refit the saya's missing parts, I'm still under the market value.

But it was Dad's so I would have done it anyway!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I'll make a selling post later tomorrow with pics and video, but for now, as much as I hate it I have to sell the Mantetsu. Lost around 4k in tech stocks these days and have to cover losses. Thanks a lot Trump!

However, I'm not letting it go for less than 2200euro. Price is not negociable, do not insist. This is a fine blade, as somebody mentioned earlier, you won't find it any better.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..