Help With Officers Gunto Id

The characters don't look Japanese to me, but I can't read Japanese, so who am I to say!!! The koshirae look authentic as does the tsuba, but the kanji looked added, like very recently.

There are people out there who will take a perfectly good gunto and "spice it up" with etchings and fittings. Sad.

But I could be wrong. Waiting with everyone else for a real expert to opine.

Chinese coin/wealth symbol to habaki

Archaic stylized chinese script historically used for decorative purposes

Late war/ Island style leather covering

Without much supporting evidence I would suggest

chinese puppet troops officer, WW2

• Like 1

Well, gee. We actually can't see much, but I am as optimistic and the others here have been suspicious - especially if you bleieve  the "40 years in the attic" story. Please show us the nakago...What we see looks "Japanese" to me...

Peter

This is one of "those" where the fittings look good, the habaki looks good, the saya looks good...the kanji look suspicious but possible, and then just when you have your mind made up, you look at the hamon and go "noooope"
Hmm...I really can't make a call. But you have left out the nakago, the most important part?
Let's see it.

• Like 1

Hello,

If it wasn't for the kanji looking too decorative and 'clean' and the applied hamon I would have said end of war but unused island made sword...The blade looks to be stainless and a very nice shape whereas nearly all of the island swords I have seen or owned have been well made but 'rough' if that makes any sense...? The leather on the saya seems to have the right amount of shrinkage and the fittings look like well made island versions with a nice patina although the inside of the saya throat looks very clean...! Only my opinion but I would say it is a post war well made island sword with decorative blade...

Regards,

Paul..

• Like 1

The habaki is worrying.  If you look at the images it seems almost too narrow for the blade and it does not taper toward the tsuba.  I'm sure this is an optical illusion because we are used to seeing Japanese habaki that widen towards the tsuba, helping to secure the blade in the saya.   

Without pictures of the blade out of the mounts this is too risky.  Given the leather covered tsuka and no clear way of removing it you are not likely to get the information you need.  The hamon looks applied rather than real.

If this is all you have to go on tread very carefully.

All the best.

Don't tread carefully here , run away quickly .Ian Brooks

I half agree. Depends what you're after. If you want one of the many, undocumented and infinitely varied swords that could be islander/collaboration, it's a lovely example with no less claim than all the other maybes.

If you are after a Japanese gunto, not for you.

• Like 3

Ask yourself this, can you actually verify the 40+ year story ??

To me:

It screams fake.

Blade doesn't look like it has been stored for 40+years.

Hamon looks fake.

Habaki doesn't look Japanese.

Stamped archaic Chinese kanji on the blade isn't Japanese.

Nagasa is very long for military specs (though not impossible).

Ashi looks wrong.

No Nakago photos provided.

My advise would be to pass, if you are looking for Gunto.  It is too easy to find a legit Gunto, why buy something this suspect.

Of course, as Steve said, perhaps you are looking for something which could be some type of undocumented collaboration.

*Remember, if the price is to good to be true, it probably is.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..