Tsuba Identificarion

TsubaCy

Hi dear all :)

Just came back from Japan where I acquired what I hope to be the first of many tsuba's as I has fascinated by the history surrounding them as well as the katanas! Came with authentication papers and although it looks like kenjo style with a signature, I cannot trace the maker. So I am seeking for help from the experts here :)

post-4514-0-42495100-1525627103_thumb.png

post-4514-0-67716600-1525627301_thumb.png

TsubaCy,

welcome to the NM board!

Your TSUBA (plural: TSUBA) looks like KAGA. Second KANJI in the MEI seems to be 'IE' (like in NOBUIE).

Please sign all posts at least with your first name plus an initial as we all do. 

Antonis,

yes, it may be a KENJO style TSUBA. 

( Kenjo means: presentation, a gift of an object to a superior or an equal. This type of TSUBA was often made as a gift, usually from one DAIMYO to another or anyone with the wealth to afford a TSUBA such as this, with the hope that some favour might be granted, or that an alliance could be obtained." (Haynes)).

Sorry, I cannot read the first KANJI in the signature.

Hi Antonis,

here below the transcription of the relevant part of your origami:

龍宮図鐔 - Ryūgū zu tsuba

象嵌銘 敦家(印) - zōgan-mei Atsuie (in)

鉄地丸形布目象嵌 - tetsu-ji maru-gata nunome-zōgan

Ryūgū is the “Palace of the Dragon King”, said to be located at the bottom of the sea.

Atsuie is reported indeed as mid Edo - Kyōto - kenjō-tsuba artist in Signatures of Japanese Sword Fittings Artists by Markus Sesko.

Mauro

(I see now that John was faster than me)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..