Hada Help

Mark C

Trying to pigeon-hole hada is always going to be problematic. One man's ko-itame is another's konuka.
There are few rules, and it is a matter of perception. Darcy would likely have a decent write up on this...pity.
I would say I see some nashiji, based on a wakizashi I have that was described as such way back. But it is open to interpretation, and some areas of the hada may be considered something else.

Hi Mark

Not sure you are going to be able to tie it down too tightly in the current polish. All those you mentioned are forms of ko-itame and to differentiate more clearly you would need to see the amount and distribution of ji-nie. However some other things to think about. Although you cant see the hada very clearly you can see the hamon. taking that in to consideration might help you narrow down your search.

nashiji is used almost exclusively to describe the hada produced by the Awataguchi school they also worked mainly in suguha and the hamon on this certainly doesn't match examples of their work.

likewise Konuka= Hizen. does the hamon on this look like any Hizen example you have seen? personally it doesn't but I don't pretend to have seen all variations of Hizen work.

I think if I was trying to tie it down I would focus more on the hamon and then work backwards towards trying to define the hada.

best regards

Paul

Hi All,

Many thanks for your reply's.

The Katana in question is signed Hizen (no) Kuni Mitsuhiro.

I will try to get a overall picture of the Hamon along the swords length tomorrow as it seems to change along it's nagasa.

Here are a couple of pictures to show various parts.

Paul - I think I can cross Nashiji off the list as in hand it looks nothing like your ref example and my pictures do not show the polish well.

Again, Many thanks

Mark

post-7-0-52185400-1525206067_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-72503300-1525206086_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..