I'm having trouble picking between Nihonto Koza, Yumei Koto Taikan, or Markus Sesko's Kantei books. (Already have Fujishiro's Nihon Toko Jiten)

Which do you think is the wisest investment for someone wanting to go beyond the beginner level books recommended in the FAQ section? Any advice would be appreciated!

These are slightly different and serve different purposes.

For traditions, schools and main smiths’ characteristics, I recommend Connoisseurs, Fujishiro, Koza.

For a deeper dive into why a blade is by a certain smith and not by another, the best is of course the NBTHK narrative, some of which is reproduced/summarised by Markus Sesko in his Kantei books. But beware that is an ongoing process and actually you have that kantei comparison in every monthly issue of the NBTHK magazine (which effectively means Markus’s books become a bit obsolete as there is constantly new material to supplement them - however, his books are a very good learning material).

I also wholeheartedly recommend his swordsmiths index and encyclopaedia as well as his meikan.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..