Sword Shows And Dealers

Hi All

A question for those that regularly attend the US sword shows .

From a face book correspondence today and similar ones in the past after or during shows it would seem that there are

dealers in attendance that are normally under the radar so to speak at other times. The question being that is this the case especially for 

collectors , accumulators out side of the USA. 

This is the second time that I have been given a dealers name to follow up on from a f/b posting  that doesn't seem to have a web page .

So unknown .

Chris NZ

There are a number of very active collectors who sell swords at the show since they are turning over their collection.  I would say that only ten or so of the 40-50 tables at the Chicago show are used by dealers (defined as being a person who makes all or most of their living from selling swords).  

there are close to 100 tables at the Chicago show, maybe 1/2 are people you see at all the shows, the professional guys, probably 75% have a web site, the other 1/2 of the people are "local" guys who only come to that show, they don't travel. Many of them are old timers who bought stuff out of the wood work 20-40 years ago and they bring some and put it out for sale, maybe 10% of they have any web presence at all. i had a couple of people who had not been to any shows in 10+years, i had one person who had a table because they inherited a large collection and knew nothing about them (were calling tsuba Otani) they had 10+ pole arms a bunch of swords, they had a pile of papers and did not know what they went to (i spent a hour and tried to match up some and others helped them with some others. They had no idea of value or prices but at the end of the show i don't think they had anything left......   not sure how you can contact people like that, it is sort of hit and miss.

• Like 1

Thanks for the breakdown Mark.  So you think that nearly 40% of the folks there have a website?  I had no idea.  It is a great show, and as one of the local guys, I intend to keep coming every year.  Thanks for putting it on.  Cheers, Bob

Thanks for the replys Guys .

Especially the in depth over view from Mark.

It would seem that attendance is required to perhaps find find items to add to the collection.

We simply don't have anything close here , I probably could count the active collectors on my fingers .

And I don't think Aussie has anything similar either, perhaps milteria shows would be the closest.

regards

Chris NZ

Robert

a quick count on my fingers from just thinking of the table layout i can immediately think of 38 tables that the vendors have a website, some of the guys with websites have multiple tables so as a percentage of vendors maybe not 40% but as a percentage of tables in the room yes i think 40% is about right

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..