hello to all

Well I just got home after a long and fairly uneventful season bucking ice and whales on the Arctic Ocean with only minor repairs to deal with. Quite a few changes to this board, a new look, but nice to see some familiar people here. I received a few books while gone including the Minoto Taikan which I had been waiting for for just under a year. Now that is one tome I would like to see a translation of. If wishes were..... Any how, if anyone could let me know if they have been in contact with John Tirado lately please let me know. I have sent a few e-mails his direction and have had no reply. Maybe busy, travelling or ill, I hope not, but would like to know. Good to be back. John

John,

Good to have you back here. So do you also travel the oceans like Nigel?

I always wonder what it must be like to get back to solid ground after so much time on the seas. Walking must be pretty strange :)

Do you have any form of internet access at all out there?

Brian

Hi Brian, We get to port every few weeks or so and I can access a terminal and address some e-mail but time is short and busy at those times so much can not be done. We have a satellite connection through global star that in these northern waters works intermittently but is to be used for company business only. Our weather station put on board by the government changed from global star to irridium in an effort to increase efficiency but I will not know the results until next year. After working as an engineer in power plants and with boilers I made the move to the marine end in 1983 and was spoiled by the life at sea. More things to see and do, the money was great and 6 months on and 6 months off is attractive. I have never noticed a problem with walking after a season of sailing other than the 'going home' obligatory rum with the crew but when trying to sleep for the first few weeks my bunk still feels like it is moving. John

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..