Japanese Swords, Buying Opportunity Or Not

phunixx

I am still learning to identify real genuine Japanese swords.

I came by these swords and wanted the pro's opinions here.

The one on the right seems to have a British tassel style, maybe replaced?

Too bad they didnt include more detailed pictures.

But maybe a good purchase.....They are estimated value @ +- 1400 USD

Pic of swords:

0317.jpg

So let's assume that you bid $1400 and you win.  (They might go for a lot more of course.)  Then add the auction buyer's premium, often 25% or more.  You don't have full pictures of the blades so you have no idea if they have any hamon or boshi, you can't see if they have serious flaws, you have no idea whether they are signed or not and they do look a bit rough, as Ray suggests.   

But let's say you win them, what have you got?  An NCO sword that might be genuine but there are a lot of very good fakes out there, a wakizashi out of polish and in poor koshirae and two out of polish katana, one of which is a shingunto and could be anything.   Let's say that when you get them and take them apart one of them is signed and by a good maker, so it's off to polish, shirasaya, habaki and shinsa.  $$$$$$$$$$$$$!

Unless you can see these in hand and know enough to tell good from bad and are prepared to put some serious money into them......getting the picture?

Take your hand off your wallet!  

Of course it's your wallet and your choice, whatever you decide to do enjoy it!

All the best.

• Like 1

I would I buy them at USD 1400? Probably not because I have no interest in NCO stuff ... are they worth 1400 USD? Probably yes ... but will they sell at USD 1400? No they won't just the premium will make it USD 1800.00 and you will more likely have to put more on the table in the end ...

From the two provided images you can't tell really much. Yes it is swords ... could be a hidden Masamune amongst them as well as a complete piece of junk ... so bid accordingly a if it was junk only ..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..