Higo.. Or What..?

Barrie B

Hi all,

Trying to research this Tsuba and I am thinking Hayashi work.. Any opinions? Its a bold and not very delicate sukashi, which is why I am thinking that.

Size: 80.5mm H x 81mm W & 5.5mm T.  Apologies that the photo is not better..

Thanks,

Barrie.

post-2085-0-77965000-1524288106_thumb.jpg

Hi Barrie,

I suspect you have not had any replies as I guess others like myself, are still scratching their heads on this one.

It definitely falls in the “or what” category for me rather than Hayashi. Although I do see where your coming from with that thought. Hayashi tended to follow set designs and I dont recall this is being one of them, its also a little more clunky than i would expect from one of the Hayashi masters ( by clunky I mean the sukashi is work is all very thick and heavy compared with what I would expect from Hayashi especially the birds ).

Very interesting tsuba and I will be interested to see what others make of it.

Kind regards

Michael

• Like 1

Thanks Michael,

I was looking at this Tsuba and thought it had similar traits... Especially the mimi, Seppadai chisel marks and Hitsu-ana (Kogai & Kozuka) shapes. And the Reed design crossing into the Seppadai slightly. Although, I agree that mine is a little more 'chunky'. Perhaps mine is a late attempt at copying Hayashi work?

Barrie.

post-2085-0-00276500-1524362583_thumb.jpg

Hi Barrie,

I certainly think its enspired by Hayashi style thats for sure but I the kogai hitsu shape is not at all what I would expect from Hayashi amoungst other points already raised.

Its a very nice large size which would suggest early Hayashi period but the work suggests not - so later work styled on Hayashi may be the closest we can get for now. The late Edo period was very much a melting pot for styles and we start to see the traditional strictness of the school designs blend together making it sometimes impossible to classify further.

Lets hope another member can add more guidance on this one.

Many thanks

Michael

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..