So What Is A "sold Archive"?

Brian

Been considering this for a while. A lot of the items sold here contain good reference info, or pics with educational value.
So (in line with many forums) I think it is time we started archiving some of these sold items, as usually they are deleted immediately after they are sold.
Now before anyone jumps up and down and and says they don't want their sold stuff or the stuff they bought archived, let me note that this is completely voluntary. If a seller sells an item and replies or marks it "Sold, please delete" then it will be deleted as per normal. Buyer can post or pm that they would like the thread removed too.

And every item that is moved to archive, will be edited and the price removed, so that will not be an issue at all, for any post.

Comment in this thread. Is this something you guys would like to see? Are there any serious objections? Useful tool?
Now is your chance to have your say, and we'll either go live with it, or abandon the idea.

Brian

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Dear Brian.

I think this is a great idea, I often use archives on commercial site when researching a particular smith or tsuba maker.  It's especially frustrating when you find something you need and external hosting has expired.  I know most people post directly to NMB which should get round that issues.

Go for it!

No objections from me. There have been some great reference examples & discussions around items for sale, which were unfortunate to see deleted when the piece sold. In the case where a buyer does not want the price shown, perhaps it could be edited out while still preserving the photos, descriptions and discussion. To kick it off, here are a couple of threads which could be moved to a Sold archive (if the new owners don't mind).

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/24065-wonderful-koto-fujishima-katakiriba-katana-in-koshirae/

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/22729-two-top-quality-nambokucho-swords-for-sale/

Sounds good to be

I would keep in the prices but I can understand your reluctance to save this information

I look at Bonhams and Christies for example as a guide to prices so I can make a better choice on items I'm unfamiliar with

I bought a 'sode' piece a few months ago but had no understanding of prices

Good idea, and I vote to leave the prices on there. The prices are as much a piece of historical information as are the descriptions and photos. AND, the prices have been on the forum for the world to see whilst the listing was live any way. 

I know of examples where the forum is used to price check a similar item for sale. Beats getting posts, "how much is my XYZ worth". 

Good idea, IMO we need to save more of the NMB and Nihonto world. Make a special section so..

Darcy had the same idea to save stories..It's also fine to save the anecdotes from well known sword people as a legacy for the current and future sword family.

Do we honor Afu Watson, Mr. Hagenbusch, ...And what's about Paul Bowman, Peter Bleed, Ian and ....?

And every time one great man passed away we have " sad news" thread and that's all.

Best Regards

Its a good idea and I support it wholeheartedly.  Leave prices in is my vote.  We are all (??) mature enough to know that prices move up as time moves on.

Perhaps a poll might capture the wider view of the greater number of Forum members??

BaZZa.

Ken, I am not checking with buyer or seller. I barely have time to read all posts daily, that is more than I have time for. I am working on defaults. In other words, the default is archive. If a seller or buyer doesn't wish it archived, they would need to indicate that on marking it sold...in other words "SOLD - please delete"
Many prefer that prices not remain. I can see their point. Happy to leave them up, but I think many buyers would not want that. It is indeed a useful resource, but I have to find a happy medium.
So I suspect archiving and removing price would be the default. Other actions depend on request.

• Like 1

Good idea,

I would only want to see info relevant to the item, no need for prices and talk of bargains.

Difficult enough selling stuff (for a fair price) without folk waving past sales pages in your face and saying "look at this".

I sometimes let stuff go cheap in order to move on, don't need a constant reminder. :laughing:

• Like 1