Anyone Seen A Koshirae Like This?

PNSSHOGUN

Interesting! Iv'e been into Gunto Koshirae for some years, and never seen one like this. There are definitely some authentic original parts there, but tend to agree with Bruce on new materials on the Tzuka. Also the leather and press studs look new. BUT, nothing surprises me any more with Gunto. Reflecting on the quality of the Saya, it looks purpose made for WW2, and not worth the effort in $$$ terms to to make a recent copy. Nice any way, and worth more study.     

• Like 2

Hello,

At first I would have said reconstructed as shown by the fresh looking leather,bright studs, newish looking binding and two different textured same...but...that ashi is very nicely fitted over the leather and that little metal locating bracket fitted to locate the mekugi with a bit of fraying where mekugi peg ( or screw ) has been removed really does throw me ! This is a very nice koshirae and I wouldn't be surprised if it's 100% ....Would be interested to know what the leather smells like....normally a good age guide..!

Regards,

Paul.

• Like 1

I did think the leather looked very new, but everything else seemed right and of high quality. Once it arrives I can get more detailed photos and do the smell test (very hard to fake).

Here's the original listing, there's more photos:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/98-TYPE-Japanese-GUNTO-KOSHIRAE-WW2-rare-Inrokizami-WOOD-SHEATH-amp-SKIN-COVER-/323206197514?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=LFKQo1m6CN%252BxD9Ww%252FVwExtbDR6s%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Hello,

I can see the mark the habaki has made on one of the seppa's so there must have been a blade there originally..The silk and cotton tassel looks in very nice condition even though it is missing the slider.....If it is put together then congratulations to whoever done it..A lot of work for not a great return...for that price and including any import tax I would say a nice buy...! I'd certainly buy one for that price...

Regards,

Paul..

I vote well preserved (almost unused),  late-ish war variant, and original. Look at the discreet wear under the leather and the buttons at the throat of the saya. We all know by now that gunto koshirae never cease to surprise with their variety.

• 3 weeks later...

The Saya leather is certainly new, within the last few decades, the end leather chape is original WW2 leather though. I think it's original, doesn't make sense to put that much effort and expense into a Koshirae like this post war. The fittings are all of the better quality type and the Itomaki is top notch.

I'll get some more photos later.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..