Yamano Kanjuro Tameshi Mei - Pre Kanbun

Hi all,

Does anyone have a blade with a Tameshi mei from pre Kanbun and from Yamano Kanjuro?

I need some reference blades.

The thing I'm really curious about the a prefix that I have never seen before (I know they come in different variations) and want to know how common it is:

截手

I have seen a lot of Kanbun blades in general and no one with this prefix. So I assume it is an old style.

My blade was tested 1636.

(Made a typo with date, corrected)

Well, I allus hits google just in case.  Entered 截手 meaning and got:

截jie - Definition, English Meaning & Example Sentences
dictionary.pinpinchinese.com/definitions/s/截-jie
Translate this page
English translations & example sentences of 截(Mandarin pinyin pronunciation: jié): 1. to cut off (a length), 2. length, 3. chunk, 4. to intercept, 5. to crop.
Missing: 手

The result seems to be close to the subject???
BaZZa.

Hi Martin and BaZZa,

Here's a bit of half-educated speculation:

The phrase "setsudan" often appears in tameshimei. It is usually written using these two characters - 截断. The two together read "cutting, severance, section, amputation, disconnection" - so pretty much what BaZZa has said. 

An alternative way of writing this is using these two characters: 切断 and the implication (for the sake of what follows) is that the first characters of each pair are interchangeable for the same meaning. 

The phrase 切手 is also a combination of characters often seen in tameshimei meaning "cutter" and which is normally followed by the name of the person carrying out the cutting test. Example here: http://tetsugendo.com/swords/Kat_102_nobutomo.html

So, applying my half-educated logic and combining the two, 截手 "setsute" would indicate the person carrying out the test.

Sorry Martin, can't help with anything by way of a reference blade. 

Best,

John

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..