Mei Translation help ! Munemitsu ??

Guest Lee

Guest Lee

Hi,

Anyone kind enough to help on a mei Kanji translation . Bishu ? ? Munemitsu. The sword is 17 1/4" End to tip.

Any information would be great !

Thank you !

Guest Lee

Hey John, Thanks!

Here is another picture. Looks like mini sword. Not like a tanto. About a 3/4" blade. Do you know about the swordsmith on this one? Blade has a good curve in it.

Lee

Guest Lee

Hi Stephen,

You know, it could be a Child's Day sword. I Did not think of that one. I can see a good temper on the blade too . Well made !

Lee

Guest Lee

James,

I hope so!

Do you have any oshigata or mei examples of this smith ?

Here is a picture of the small tsuba it came with. Looks like solid silver tarnished. Made of something I have not seen before.

Lee

Guest Lee

Hi Carlo,

The signature is I believe what you call Katana -Mei Edge up signature away from person. Holding the sword in your hands with its edge down, the signature is on the left side.

Lee

Hi,

Hello,

Thank you, Do you have example wrote as Bishu not Bizen ? There were 10 Munemitsu smiths I think ?

Lee

Found only 6 koto Bizen Munemitsu, but i've not found an oshigata with Bishu Osafune Munemitsu, but you certainly know this kind of mei is synonymous of kazu-uchi-mono.

Just two observations :

I am not fond of the Nakago Jiri but it can be due to pictures.

If anyone has time to look for this Munemitsu, he has to look for a generation who centered his mei on the shinogi

Guest reinhard
...but i've not found an oshigata with Bishu Osafune Munemitsu, but you certainly know this kind of mei is synonymous of kazu-uchi-mono.

I wish he certainly does not know. "Bishu Osafune + name" is NOT SYNONYMOUS with kazu-uchi mono. Here's an oshigata (Bishu Osafune MUNEMITSU!) dated Bunmei 18th year (1487), which definitely NOT belongs to a Kazu-uchi mono.

We have discussed this topic before and constantly repeating the "Bishu Osafune = kazu-uchi mono" sermon does not make it true. There is a statistic relevance to it, but it is far from being a reliable rule. On the contrary it is misleading beginners.

reinhard

post-553-14196747117855_thumb.jpg

As I originated the Kazu Uchi mono post, I have to answer Reinhard remark :

I wish he certainly does not know. "Bishu Osafune + name" is NOT SYNONYMOUS with kazu-uchi mono. Here's an oshigata (Bishu Osafune MUNEMITSU!) dated Bunmei 18th year (1487), which definitely NOT belongs to a Kazu-uchi mono.

Reinhard is absolutely right.

Suspicion about the mei "Bishu Osafune ..." being kazu uchi mono depends on the date the sword was forge, taking as example Blades forged during the 15th century or before and beginning with "Bishu Osafune ..." you will find very few kazu uchi mono.

I think these kind of swords appear at the very end of 15th century and boomed during the 16th century.

Nevertheless, Reinhard example is biaised because there are always exceptions to the rule. Remember the Kanenori post and the Kiritsuke mei, I was saying that the kanenori kaji line was not outstanding and Jacques shows us a Juyo Kanenori blade.

Darcy answered that a Juyo blade does not make a Kaji line exceptionnal.

In fact, I have never seen books or pictures dedicated to kazu uchi mono swords, I think there is a market there :D :D :D

The only thing I will never do is to buy a "Bishu Osafune ..." mei sword forged during the Sengoku period without having the possibility to examine it "in hand". Even High resolution pictures can be misleading

Statistics are there even if there are exceptions ....

That was Guido's remark too.

Do not discard anything but be very cautious, Nihonto is full of booby traps :laughabove: :laughabove:

Guest Lee
Get a window polished (will cost very little) and then decide if its worth a polish.

Hi,

Get a Window polish ! Is that polish a section to see a portion of the blade?

Lee

Jacques has written :

NBTHK and NTHK do not kantei a blade which is in bad condition.

Revise your classic Jacques, two years ago I had a NTHK kantesisho on an unpolished Koto Kanetsune which once polished had 2 hagire ........

On a sidenote is the date 1486 on the oshigata Reinhard posted? My Bishu Osafune Munemitsu katana has an almost identical hamon to that example.

Few chance to be a Kazu uxhi mono :D :D :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..