https://alexcooper.hibid.com/lot/39199696/important-Japanese-silver-wakizashi/

Why did it sell as high as 17k pkus premnium ... so well over 20k?!

The Sayagaki that it got repaired after the earth quake ... maybe referering to the Horimono ... the original bohi have been excessively polished down ...

Yes, and it is a Koto Sukemune for sure ... but still I do not see why atleast two people were very determined to buy it? This is top dollar for a likely Muromachi periode Bizen Wakizashi (!) ... I thought  that the most value may have been in the Koshirae ... but overall I do not see why this blade sold for so much money. Either people with unlimited money but limited brain were bidding or the joke is on me and I am missing something here. I would assume the later one. So why did this blade stir so much interest? While I liked the Horimonos I thought it to be problematic that the blade had lost tremendous meat looking at the original Bohi. I think there is one or two rather highly rated Bizen Sukemune but I still see not how this Wakizashi would attract so much interest?

Personally I am reluctant about the use of the word important. There are few things in life that really do matter ... and it is the same with swords. I do not see how this would be an important piece. A nice peice yes. But why would one think it to be important?

• Like 1

Luis

This is not uncommon in auctions of recent years. I remember some time back seeing a shin-shinto tanto estimated at 1000- 1500 UK pounds sell for more than 20K. why?

Because it had very shiny fittings, looked like a glorified tart's boudoir and two people with far more money than knowledge weren't prepared to lose face by letting the other win it.

This was  a very frequent occurrence when many buyers predominantly at that time from Russia and China were extremely active in the auction houses. They had large amounts of disposable income wanted to flaunt it and liked things that were shiny. I think those particular buyers are now a little quieter, or have become more knowledgeable. However there are always people who buy things just because they can and want to show everyone they can.

• Like 1

Luis.  First of all, after reading your post, I am really relieved that I didn't buy this piece!   Having said that, I don't think that it is quite as nuts as you suggest.  For decades, fancy tanto with gaudy mounts have been well over 10K, regardless of the quality of the blade.  Right now, we have the biggest disparities in wealth worldwide than possibly ever, and the number of billionaires has doubled or tripled in a relatively short time.  I think that there is a lot of money sloshing around for top grade fancy pieces that appeal to people interested in samurai swords but not educated collectors.  My guess is that if it were put up again in another auction house, the same result might well happen.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I know this post is probably stale, but my 2 cents. I'm an economist by profession. It's all good. I bought a house in an area that has the best school district around. Highest property taxes in multiple counties. Every time people overpay for properties in my area I welcome it. Prices for real state remain rock solid for my area.

We need people who will pay wtf prices for a blade like this. One day (before the next recession) you'll welcome this interest in your wheelhouse.

Dave

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..