Ww2 Sword Markings

lanceoa

New here. Father has been storing these upwards of 20+ yrs. 4 in the military category, 3 swords and a dagger. He wanted me to sell them for him, but I might’ve just caught the bug, these things are, among other things, historical and beautiful. The only thing I could find was that I have a Seki stamp on one. Thx!

Note: I posted the bottom wakizashi in the translation category.

post-4473-0-01411400-1522940226_thumb.jpeg

post-4473-0-49297000-1522940262_thumb.jpeg

post-4473-0-19793700-1522940282_thumb.jpeg

post-4473-0-45947100-1522940307_thumb.jpeg

post-4473-0-30711400-1522940326_thumb.jpeg

post-4473-0-18831700-1522940349_thumb.jpeg

post-4473-0-20578800-1522940423_thumb.jpeg

Welcome to the discussion board. There appear to be a number of fingerprints on one of the swords. Please see below for a guide to care and maintenance.

http://www.nbthk-ab.org/Etiquette.htm

All of three of the swords whose mei (signatures) you have shared are WWII-era and may to be Showa-to (not traditionally made). The wakizashi and second sword with a dragonfly on the fuchi appear to be older and may be worth a deeper look.

• Like 1

Dear Lance.

What Ray said plus !.  First off, slow down and go carefully.  Fingerprints on swords quickly turn to rust and ruin things.  These are already in need of some restoration but you might have some interesting things there.

You certainly have three Shingunto that were carried in WWII, a naval dirk and two civilian wakizashi.  The wakizashi with the black lacquer looks as though it was a good thing, nmow in need of some restoration, the one at the top also looks interesting so go slow and take advice.

That's a fascinating gun case to have opened and you have found some interesting things.

Enjoy.

All the best.

• Like 2

Thanks for weighing in everyone. Weekend chores now include a tissue wipe down with a dab of machine oil for the whole lot, separating wipe down on the blade and doing a separate nakago wipe.

The dagger tang had a bit of rust on it, but didn’t see any signature with my quick glance.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..