ok boys and girls,

here's a quickie report on the Chicago show that's officially over.................

it's slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww like molasses. However molasses is sweet if you know how to " game the system ".

Now this is just a personal viewpoint and I can't speak for ( nor intend to ) every exhibitors.I heard certain dealers have tremendous business.

Same old faces except everyone looks older.

It was slow for me the first day, only managed to sell ONE Edo period painting .

However, I brought over some " permanent " collection items to show old friends . Never intended to part with some but I received an offer I can't refuse on one , and since it'll be going to a very good home..............the rest is history. Yes, Kapitan , my Shosui ( aka Masayuki ) iron menuki are no longer mine.

With the " seed money " in my pocket ( and without my Boss's < aka wife > permission/knowledge ), I started to do my personal share in helping to revive the economy ( now say thank you, Mr. Bush ).

My favorite dealer, Hagrid ( aka Walberg ), took a big chunk out of my wallet content. With further wheeling und dealing with others dealers/collectors involving 3 ways deals ( sometimes )...I came back with a few very good kozuka, some tsuba, some fuchi/kashira , menuki ( which even my boss loves ).

One particular menuki I have " suspicion " ( in a good sense ) on turned out to be what I expected..................a pair of LARGE Ezo menuki of squirrel ( confirmed by pics in Bushido magazine ) !!!!

Pictures to follow after I unpack all the goodies.........................

milt

Since I specifically mentioned the Ezo menuki here, i'll post the pics. on this thread.

Other new finds from the Chicago show will be posted on the fittings section.............

These are quite large, measure about 4.4 cm long

enjoy.

milt

post-18-14196746854054_thumb.jpg

post-18-14196746855956_thumb.jpg

I think the Ezo fitting makers represent quite a few artisans and no specifis persons were known by names (i.e. mumei )............... have to read up on the Bushido mag. article again.

May be Rich ( aka Trickie ) Turner can shed some light on this as Ezo fittings were discussed on his blog.

the color is a bit lighter silvery black, the black you see is lighting effect.

the back is identical to just about all the examples shown in the Bushido article.

Mickey believes it could be Ezo once i mentioned the possibility to him at the show. Anyway, he thinks the menuki is momoyama or earlier. He's more expert in fittings than me and I take his opinion quite seriously.

milt

By the way, my name is Cyrus aka Mike's partner at tetsugendo.com
Darn, Cyrus, and I did my best to discretely promote you by inserting a link to your website in my "NMB Gathering V" thread - just shows how short the attention span of some people is ... :x

P.S.: Just in case my above post is taken the wrong way: there's not a single piece on Mike's and Cyrus' website that I would be ashamed of owning. They offer the real deal, maybe not cheap, but still very reasonable for the quality you get.

Of course they can't compete with those eBay sellers from Japan that are so popular with some forumites, who sell their mediocre (and often questionable) stuff (i.e. items they can't sell in Japan for a variety of reasons) to people who still look for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

If you know me, you know that I don't endorse any business light-heartedly, but I gladly make an exception in this case. If you, otoh, think that spending more than US $ 1,000 on a Tsuba is insane, stay away from http://www.tetsugendo.com.

You are welcome Milt,

Hope you enjoy the menuki.

:P

be sure to check out Cy's devastatingly handsome face on chicago show 2008 pic thread............

:glee:

Now can I get that BIG discount on the " Milt, that's out of your leaque " samurai f/k set ? :bowdown:

milt

post-18-14196747094702_thumb.jpg

post-18-14196747095826_thumb.jpg

Milt has written :

Now can I get that BIG discount on the " Milt, that's out of your leaque " samurai f/k set ? :bowdown:

I was just considering to buy it as it would be a good match for this splendid signed and paperd Hikone tsuba I got from you (you know the one depictiing the Uji river) :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:

Do it, Eager B.

I looked at them, they are lovely, I think comes with NBTHK paper too.

But may not be a " perfect " match with the Uji boys as it's in iron.............

Talking about iron, Cy and Mikey had a papered Yamakichibai ( spelling ? ) tsuba at 1k, GREAT deal but it's " missing " on Sunday........ I missed the boat again !! :rant:

milt

Was talking to Roy H. ...........Secret agent Man,

Found out where Carla originated from, you'll never guessed !!

He got that from an Iranian who skipped Tehren around the time the Shah got his butt kicked out.

The guy was selling a lot of good Oriental stuffs ( solid gold censor, Blue and White etc. ).

I still have one koz from the collection..........

milt

Darn, Cyrus, and I did my best to discretely promote you by inserting a link to your website in my "NMB Gathering V" thread - just shows how short the attention span of some people is ... :x

LOL, you know Guido, I really wasn't trying to promote the site. I just wanted Milt to remember my name as opposed to being labeled as Mike's partner :P

be sure to check out Cy's devastatingly handsome face on chicago show 2008 pic thread............

:glee:

milt

Actually Milt from now on, I request that only photos of me from 10 years ago be published when I was much skinner :thanks: The price on the Eiho is going up!!! :laughabove:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..