Best Tsuba Mei Reference Book?

Vermithrax16

The text set used by all the shinsa teams is the 'Toso Kodogu Meiji Taikei' by Wakayama.  I also recommend the 'Haynes Index' to use with it as it gives a lot of information about the makers and also gives you the reference book page in the Wakayama three book set.  Second best is 'Shinsen Kinko Meikan'..  These are the only books to go to as they have been vetted and used for decades by the shinsa teams.

• Like 3

Hello:

If mei are important then Kinko Meikan by Masumoto Senichiro and Kokubo Kenichi is a must. It was published in 1974, with possible later editions. It is my understanding that the photographs, exclusively of mei, were done by the authors with pieces in hand, and if so that is a big plus. In 1982 John Yumoto provided a 197 page  translation of that edition which is extremely useful for the non-Japanese reader. Needless to say the Fukushi Shigeo, Tosogu Classroom, as translated and compiled by Markus Sesko is more than highly rcommended as its entire mult-volume set comes forth.

Arnold F.

• Like 1

Clarification - In my post above I mentioned the 'Shinsen' Kinko Meikan which is the edited version of the 1974 book revised because errors were found in the older publication.  The later edition is often used in conjunction with the Wakayama texts at shinsa because there are a few mei included which were not a part of the much larger and more comprehensive Wakayama texts.  When making decisions on the validity of mei for purchase it can be in one's best interest to utilize the texts used at shinsa as they will give you the best chance at validation.  One error in purchase can easily cost the equivalent of the total cost of all these texts so it can be well worth the investment.  having said all of this, one still needs to learn how to discern the subtle variations in reading mei which is a study unto itself.  I have found it to be quite fulfilling in itself and actually can be a lot of fun.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..