New Saya Needed

Thanks for the suggestions. Actually my current saya is cracked, and may be salvaged with a samegawa wrap to strengthen and prevent it from cracking further. Would any of these gentlemen do this type of work also?

Thanks

Jeremy

Hi Ken

I think my saya is bad enough to have it fixed with a samegawa wrap, the longest crack is about 10 inches starting from the koiguchi, and hairline cracks on the other side. I don't feel confident enough doing it myself. The best would be to get a new saya made but that would mean I'd have to send my blade overseas which Im trying to avoid if I can help it.

Thanks again

Jeremy

One hint, Jeremy, is that almost all iaito have the same sori, so see if you can find an inexpensive saya locally that the same length or a bit longer. Pretty good chance your blade will fit. I have three blades that all use the same saya with the rattan wrap. Fred is good if you decide to buy a new saya.

BTW, when I managed to crack my saya, it was a lot more than 10"! Just made me learn to do saya-biki correctly. :-?  Wrapping with bamboo/rattan is fairly easy, & it looks really cool when you're done. Mine looks like the one on Fred's page: http://www.Japanese-swords.com/pages/saya.htm. Took me a couple of tries, but mostly just to get the right effect.

• Like 1

Actually it is a shinken made in Japan with a Japanese made saya, so I doubt any old saya will fit it unfortunately. I've contacted fred Lohman and randy for now, compare prices etc and take it from there. Thanks for all the advice.

Jeremy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..