Norisuke(?) Tsuba

rkg

Hi,

I got this not too long ago, and its still confusing me.

The piece was papered to Norisuke, and I'm still trying to figure out how they got to that.  I did a bit of searching through what little I have on hand by this tsuba maker, and it doesn't really seem to look like their "usual" work.

First up, here's a couple of images of the piece:

post-204-0-35522600-1522435250_thumb.jpgpost-204-0-91860900-1522435330_thumb.jpgpost-204-0-34519800-1522435370_thumb.jpg

The piece measures 82.6mm (H) X 76.7mm (W) X 3.30mm (T, web), 4.32mm (t, max, mimi), 4.83mm (t, max).

Oh, and a couple of 360 image sets - as an aside, after I shot these I realized the surface would appear to "shimmer" in direct light as it moved - cool...

http://www.rkgphotos.com/facebook_stuff/crane_norisuke/crane_norisuke_front/crane_norisuke_front.html

http://www.rkgphotos.com/facebook_stuff/crane_norisuke/crane_norisuke_back/crane_norisuke_back.html

When I first saw the auction, I thought it might be toryusai school work, as I think I've seen them do this surface treatment (and actually bori) like this before.  In hand though the bird definitely isn't done they way those guys would, so its a head scratcher.  My next guess would have been mito work or something (as they seemed to copy -everything-).

Paper (since I scanned it - just in case anybody's interested):

post-204-0-85157800-1522435576_thumb.jpg

Comments appreciated.

Thanks,

rkg

(Richard George)

• Like 1

i do not know Naotane, nor Norisuke to have worked with " implements " expressions in their´s Tsuba Richard.

must be something other, close to this taste and time....( maybe a Kinko artist ).

reliability of the papers, i think, do not need further discussion.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

despite the above written-

a lovely and strong Tsuba here Richard! very nice! :clap:

Christian

• 1 month later...

FWIW, I actually ended up talking to Haynes about this one - he didn't think it was related to Norisuke either - his guess was Sano school work.  Maybe a bad day Natsuo, right?  (my joke, not his...) :rotfl:

Best,

rkg

(Richard George)

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..