Percentage Of Mumei And Gimei Blades

BIG

The article does not make it clear if Hinomoto thinks that there were originally 70 - 80 % Mumei blades that eventually got a Gimei put on or if that is a total number. 80% Mumei versus 20% signed looks a bit high from my gut feeling. I wouldn't want to assume that. But I think that is not what Hinomoto expressed.

Anyway I can tell 90% of sword collectors are old farts and 99.9% of them are men.

• Like 6

Well, he's a collector who makes a guess, not a well known authority on swords wo makes a statement ...

meito (a sword with a maker name)

Meitô 名刀 are famous swords (i.e. the sword itself is named), a signed sword is called being yûmei 有銘 ("there is a signature") (not to be confused with yûmei 有名, "famous").

• Like 2

Another point to consider is that old blades may be Mumei but mainly due to O-Suriage while they may have well been signed in the 1st place.

Then we also would need to as if a Gimei blade was made purposelyto be signed as Gimei or if someone just took a shot a Mumei blade and put on a fake signature.

Just looking at Shinshinto and later periode blades I feel the vast majority is signed. If we look especially at Showa periode there are hardly and any that are Mumei. Yes there are of course but I would want to think taht 80% of them are signed.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..