Kabuto

vajo

I have this suji bashi kabuto in my collection. After building up my swordroom i have now the place to present the helmet in display. I'm not the armor collector who knows much about it. I only know it has 32 plates and it is rusty.

The condition looks good for my eyes but it has no shinobi , ukebari and other material inside.

Would you refit the helmet? Or doing a complete restore?

How does it has looked in edo times?

post-3496-0-05394300-1521912393_thumb.jpgpost-3496-0-71755700-1521912404_thumb.jpgpost-3496-0-18846100-1521912417_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Chris,  Your helmet is not rusty, but coated with russet lacquer - sabi nuri. It looks a little dusty in places and you are safe wiping it with a soft cloth moistened with a little alcohol just to get the dust off. 

Ian Bottomley

• Like 1

Thanks Ian,

under the coat there is a little rust on some spots. And inside around the ring there is more. I oiled it from time to time with choji.

What you think how old is the helmet. I thought around middle edo? 

I think this is a good opportunity to point out to new katchu collectors about Tetsu-Sabiji Nuri.

it's a lacquer effect that simulates russet iron. You may ask yourself why would you apply a russet iron effect to an iron helmet? Well, there are a number of logical reasons.

Tetsu is often very thin or in some cases recycled (a common practice during Sengoku). The flaws and cosmetic flaws can be concealed. Also, the ground layers of the lacquer helps to strengthen the assembly.
More importantly urushi waterproofs the iron.

Here is are some images from a recent commission/s I had where I need to replace the tetsu-sabiji effect. It looks like iron, but you don't ever need to oil it.

Before

Katchushi-toppai-1-2.jpg

After
Katchushi-toppai-1-6.jpg

Replacing the Shinobi-no-o is easy, just can Youtube a video on basic rope twisting and then twist up some jute rope from the local DIY store.
Here are a few I made, they are dyed green with a little fabric dye.

23334279_10154910909677190_5809894046440

Making a replacement ukebare is a task, it's not impossible but requires a little skill. They usually take around 9hrs to make and fit.

24831086_10154977462337190_7782153343473

I hope that helps and apologies for the shameless plugs but I've had to watermark all my photos due to Pintersters. 

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..