Analysis Of A Flawed Blade

Ken-Hawaii

Take a look at https://www.ebay.com/itm/TANTO-sword-w-White-Shaeth-SUKENAGSA-MUROMACHI-17-7-10-7-350g/123031708298

What was once a decent wakizashi evidently had a perpendicular bend, & when it was straightened, a hagire formed in the middle - sad, but informative.

The peculiar oblong, rounded discolorations likely occurred in an excessive attempt to polish out the crack, in the hope that it was superficial. The metal removal that resulted went through the jigane to shingane in one area, & you can see the lighter-colored granular shingane, within the darker border of kawagane, as surface metal was progressively removed. The hamon also lost its clarity in this area, & the whitish martensite of the borders of the hako-midare apparently lies right under the darker surface nie in the center of each hako. This gives some insight to the metallurgy of nie-deki.

Ken,

there might be a possible different interpretation of the KIZU. To me it looks as if a big crack has been welded with a small torch as used in goldsmith's shops. The rounded 'discolourations', as you called it, are perhaps areas of added different steel from welding. The HAMON is probably gone in these areas, but optically maintained by heavy HADORI work. 

Just my theory wihout having seen the blade in hand, fwiw.....

• Like 1

I thought about that, Jean, but the chances that a welder could hold a torch that still, without affecting other areas, is pretty small. Jewelry-making has been a hobbly of mine for many years, & I have two of those mini-torches, so I can also safely say that neither of mine would put out enough BTUs to weld any amount of steel.

Well, my personal expirience with this seller was a very bad one. Quite some years ago I had bought an item for them and paid for it via PayPal but they had missed the payment for whatever reason. Sending them screenshots of the trandaction - which was in their PayPal account as well - did not help at all. It was not until a Japanese lawyer wrote them a letter that I finally got my item. I never received an appology. Jst a bad business habit. Mayn other buyers were happy with their purchases though. Overall this seller offers a wide variety of items with some 1st class junk. I do no longer look at their auctions.

I too never look at this seller's items.  He sold me some modern cast menuki. When after long discussions, I returned the menuki, they never arrived. I bought a yari from him that was a modern reproduction. That was the last time I looked at his items. Buyer beware is apt in this case.

I bought some pieces and parts over the time from this seller. Never had any problems. He answered questions fast. The packages are allways safe and well shiped. Ken, that blade is lost. I don't know who buys such a piece. But on other hands many offers on ebay looks like private sellings with vets pieces from the grandfather. The pictures are worse and some members here buy such things. If you look then in the sellers history you see that these person often deals with junk.

That Japanese dealer has every time good pictures and when you ask for another you get some. Thats my own experience.

Best

Chris

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..