The Oribe / Shino Connection

ken kata

Hello Guys,

Me again..

I got a couple of Green "Oribe" pieces.

The Oribe Snack Plate/Bowl , called "Kashiki" (?) .. was sold as Oribe..

The Fan shaped Snack Plate was sold as "Shino" ....

That Kiku ( I can spell Chrysanthemum  :bang:  )  style is a popular motif that I see on many items.

The Potter's Seal/Stamp/Marks ( What is the proper tem for this?) , on the bottom seems to be the same.

I was going to research what or why Oribe and Seto have similar looks/style, or, why are they linked together.

Would any one here know about,or, why this is?

I like watching Core Kyoto's CERAMIC TREASURES.

Watch this episode on Oribe-ware :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5uIopm3fa0&t=776s

Next...  The Japanese Craze  "Kannyo"  :)

post-2090-0-53300100-1521738443_thumb.jpg

post-2090-0-89064200-1521738452_thumb.jpg

post-2090-0-31341000-1521738461_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Oribe is a type of Seto pottery which tried to simulate the look of celadon and experiments with different glazes failed although they became popular nonetheless. The difference is the colour palette and decoration, also intentional flawed shape. The same with Shino, a Seto pottery with those thick mostly white dripping glazes. Of the three Shino can be the most eloquent, but, also, to me, can be very ugly. Roll of the dice for the potter I'd say, and individually appreciated or not. John

• Like 1

Some Japanese ceramics authorities argue that Shino is really properly understood to be "white Oribe" ware.  When the origins of Oribe wares and Shino are considered, together with the clay types and the sensibilities reflected in certain aesthetic features, this view does make some sense...

Cheers,

Steve

• Like 2

Hello Guys,

I was watching , and reading and, Now I understand.

"Oribe", is a term they use to describe the irregular styles/ types of Tea Ceremony wares   that the Daimyo Furuta Oribe liked/preferred.

The Green color was another "feature' he liked.

The Oribe works come under Mino-ware

From Wikipedia ( I am a contributing Member  :)  )

1)  Mino ware (美濃焼 Mino-yaki) refers to Japanese pottery that was produced in Mino Province around the towns of Toki and Minokamo in Gifu Prefecture, central Japan.

2) The history of Japanese pottery in the Toki area appears to have started more than 1,300 years ago. Some kiln traces and earthenware pieces, which are in the 7th-century style, have been recovered within the territory of the city. Craftsmen around the Seto area fled during wars before the Azuchi–Momoyama period (1568–1614) and settled in the region. They were under the protection of the lords of Toki. The pottery was founded by Katō Yosabei, whose sons also started other potteries in the area. The technical merit and artistic impression reached new heights when crockery for tea ceremony had been produced there.

Under the guidance of lord Furuta Oribe, the Oribe ware developed as a variation of it. Daimyō feudal lords highly admired such tea vessels, bowls, pots and utensils with unique styles of oribe. More emphasis has been put on daily necessities since the early Edo period (1603–1867).

Certain Mino kilns also produced Ofukei ware.[1]

With the introduction of mass production introduced in the Meiji period (1868–1912), Mino ware became widely available. Ceramics from the Mino region amount to around 50% of Japanese pottery produced.[2]

3)  Throughout the centuries, four styles of Mino were developed that differ from each other in appearance. These have strong connections to tea ceremony:[3]

• Ki-Seto ware: style is yellow.[4]
  • Setoguro ware: style is black.[5]
  • Shino ware: style is often grey with autumn grasses in white as a prominent theme. This result is achieved by incising through a slip of iron oxide and covered with feldspar glaze. In the oven, the fire would bring our variations in colour through the uneven glaze. Sub-styles are Muji-Shino, E-Shino, Beni-Shino, Aka-Shino, and Nezumi-Shino.[6]
  • Oribe ware: style is green and black.[7] Sub-styles are Ao-Oribe, So-Oribe, Aka-Oribe, Narumi-Oribe, Shino-Oribe, and Kuro-Oribe. [8]

Another  ORIBE Video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mVN6VpXFGM

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..