Token Meiji Taikan Gentaki Tsuchiya Oshigata Needed

Yoshimichi

Dear NMB Members:

I am looking for an oshigata out of a book I used own. I can no longer find my copy of an oshigata from that book. I believe it may have been in one of the volumes of the TOKEN MEIJI TAIKAN GENTAKI TSUCHIYA OSHIGATA, but I am not completely sure. I only had the one volume. I am hoping someone can help me locate the oshigata. It is of a tachi signed "Nakahara Kunimune." The date was over the top of the mei. both on the same side of the tang, and the nakago has two mekugi-ana. There was also a diagonal line in the nakago running across the tang, between the two mekugi-ana, from about 9:00 o'clock to about 3:00 o'clock. 

If any members have the TOKEN MEIJI TAIKAN GENTAKI TSUCHIYA OSHIGATA set, and it contains this oshigata, it would be greatly appreciated if you could email me a copy of the oshigata to besheehan@aol.com, or if you know of any other single volume taikans or oshigata books by the Tsuchiya polishers that you think might be a good bet for finding this oshigata, any leads are would really help. 

Best regards,

Bill E. sheehan (Yoshimichi)

Dear Morita-san:

Thank you so much for locating and providing me with the Nakahara Kunimune oshigata. I really appreciate it. Do you have any idea when this book was published? I was told that the Tsuchiya family were sword polishers, and they made oshigata of swords they polished, and those are the oshigata depicted in this book. Do you know if that is correct? Does the kanji on page 194 provide any information about who owned the sword, or whether the sword was believed to be a genuine sword made by Nakahara Kunimune?

Here is why I ask. I encountered the sword that I believe matches this oshigata 23 years ago. The sword is owned by a non-sword collector. The sword is located in the U.S. I am curious as to what, if anything, page 194 says about this particular sword, or who may have owned it before it came to the U.S.

Best regards,

Bill E. Sheehan (Yoshimichi) 

Hi,

Tsuchiya(family name) is not a polisher, his name was Tsuchiya Harunao (1782-1852).
He was a high status Samurai(hatamoto class) of Tokugawa government in Edo period.

[TOKEN MEIJI TAIKAN,(GENTAKU TSUCHIYA OSHIGATA)] 10 Vols was published in 1981-1983.
( Mine is not for sell.)

Left line text by Imamura Choga says:
Count Satake possessed this sword in Meiji period.
Blade length 2-shaku,2-sun,9-bu.   3 mekugi-ana.
There is Utsuri on the blade.  

Sorry,English translatiaon of a sentence in the left line was corrected.

Left line text by Imamura Choga says:
Also, Count Satake possessed same mei Nakahara Kunimune sword(dated 5th month, 4th year of Kagen period(1306) ) in Meiji period.
Blade length 2-shaku,5-sun,1-bu. 3 mekugiana.
There is Utsuri on the Count Satake's blade.

Dear Morita-san:

Your help and assistance is very much appreciated. I am going to try to learn more about Tsuchiya Harunao and Count Satake. Thanks again for your willingness to help advance my knowledge and understanding of this sword.

Best regards,

Dear Morita-san:

Thanks for the further translation of the kanji. I looked up Count Satake, and the viscount during the Meiji period appears to be Count Satake Yoshisato. I was impressed with the Satake Clan family history.

Am I correct in interpreting the entry by Imamura Choga to be saying that Count Satake owned a different sword with the same Nakahara Kunimune mei, similar to but not the same as the one pictured at page 194? The one I examined only had two mekugi-ana. and had a spectacular itomaki-no-tachi koshirae. I am wondering if the one I examined may have been the one owned by Count Satake Yoshisato?

Best regards,

Bill E.Sheehan (Yoshimichi)

Sorry,Marquis Satake,not Count Satake.

Nakahara Kunimue of 194 page:blade length 2-shaku 2-sun 9-bu(69.39 cm),dated 5th month,the 3rd year of Kagen period(1305),2 mekugiana.

Another Nakahara Kunimune blade owned by Marquis Satake in Meiji period: blade length 2-shaku 5-sun 1-bu(76.05 cm),dated 5th month,the 4th year of Kagen period(1306),3 mekugiana.

Tang oshigata of Marquis Satake's Nakahara Kunimune appears on Imamura oshigata(published in 1927).

Now,I attaced a pic of Imamura oshigata of Marquis Satake's Nakahara Kunimune.

post-137-0-49386600-1521889103_thumb.jpg

Dear Morita-san:

Thank you for the oshigata of the Marquis Satake oshigata from 1927. Thank you also for clarifying that the oshigata at page 194 only has two mekugi-ana.

I have some photos of the nakago of the Nakahara Kunimune I examined years ago. The nakago in the attached photos look to me to be of the same nakago as the one pictured at page 194 of the Toko Meiji Taikan. Would you agree? I thought you would like to see the photos. I really appreciate your expertise and kindness in providing me with this very helpful information.

Best regards,

post-1356-0-61865000-1521915444_thumb.jpg

post-1356-0-35112900-1521915488_thumb.jpg

post-1356-0-12732700-1521915524_thumb.jpg

Archived