Vertical Centerline On Tsuba

FlorianB

Hello everybody,

maybe someone can sort out a problem that bothers me.

There are several Sukashi-Tsuba with an accentuated vertical centerline (some random examples assembled below).
Is there a particular idea in this design or was it just a kind of fashion in certain times?

Thanks,
Florian

post-919-0-39455600-1521219223_thumb.jpg

Because I am interested in tsuba that were informed or copied from European  bi-lobed guards, I have been marginally interested in this issue. Simple design symmetry might explain a lot here, but I think there may as well be some functional utility is knowing where the cutting center of a blade was. Guys were using these things in life or death situations so tat even very basic orientation information may have had practical value.

Peter

Thank You for Your input - there’s something to think about.

Of course I recognized the purpose of a firm connection between seppa-dai and mimi, but it seemed too obvious in my eyes.

Often a pair of karigane or myoga can be seen instead so I considered a symbolic or other reason in this single beam.

Allow me one more question:

Years ago I was shown an alleged Muromachi-Tsuba with a centerline. However, the upper and the lower fillet were not exactly in line but slightly misplaced (alas, I have no picture so please refer to the simple sketch below).
That seemed unaesthetic to me. Was this Tsuba indeed of inferior make or wasn’t I able to appreciate an intentioned asymmetry?

Thanks again,
Florian

post-919-0-81844900-1521288278_thumb.jpg

Jean,

lovely Tsuba with wonderful movement!

I don’t recognize the design, maybe a weaving pattern, flash of lightning or modiefied manji, but it was clearly made intentionally.

Look at my sketch below You’ll see, that a vertical was held. Thus the general impression is slanting but not unstable.

Of course there are little variations, but this is acceptable  - possibly intentioned to create a more livley effect.

Florian

post-919-0-16080300-1521357087_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..