Wakizashi Bungo Takada Tomoyuki Nthk (1469-1486)

Lukas

Hey there,

As I'm quite new in the nihonto world I require som advice regarding a wakizashi.

Certificate: NTHK (Nihon Token Hozon Kai)

Certificate date: 16/7-2017

Signed by: Chief Executive Officer Teiji Miyano

Forge: TOMOYUKI

Province: Bungo

School: Takada

Era: Muromachi

Year: Bunei 1469-1486

Leaf style: Shinogi Zukuri

Iorimune

Kitae

Itame

Hamon: Suguha komaru gaeri

Mekugi ana: 1

Full Length: 65.5cm

Wakizashi: 63.5cm (sword)

Nagasa: 43.5cm (cutting section on the blade)

Sori: 1.1cm (curvature)

Tsuka: 18cm (handle)

It is offered at 1600 usd.

I would be very grateful If there was anyone who could give there input.

Thank very much.

Lukas Gerdin

post-4448-0-44906100-1521207653_thumb.jpg

post-4448-0-46729100-1521207670_thumb.jpg

post-4448-0-37242800-1521207677_thumb.jpg

post-4448-0-84070100-1521207696_thumb.jpg

post-4448-0-09929100-1521207708_thumb.jpg

post-4448-0-49151700-1521207725_thumb.jpg

It looks like a nice package Lukas. There are areas of rust. How serious is it? With rust, it is not possible to selectively polish just that area. A full polish will be needed if you want to address that issue (you may alternately choose to accept and leave as-is if the rust is is not active). If your intention would be to have the sword polished after purchase, then factor in the additional restoration cost which would be more that the stated purchase price (factoring in shirasaya and tsunagi). Are there any major flaws in the sword?

https://www.japaneseswordindex.com/kizu.htm

http://www.ksky.ne.jp/~sumie99/flaws.html

• Like 1

Lucas, it is unfortunately not possible to give you a reasonable advice based on these images. Neither can we really say anything in particular about the blade nor do we see the Tsuba or Menuki. It is standard Handachi mounts. Bungo blades are not in high regard on many occasions. A new polish is not recommend. The total cost would be above what this blade is worth. The papers are not a real benefit with such a blade. The asking price is fair. But again you need to ask yourself wheter the blade appeals to you. Buy what you like.

• Like 1

To be frank I would not buy it. There are for example some papered Hizen Wakizashis by reputable members like Ray and other up for sale that offer much more bang for the buck even if you will be looking at close to 3k investment. But the quality of the blades will easily stand up to their asking prices.

Guest Rayhan

I think the main issue collectors face with schools like Takada is the difficulty grouping them and classifying them much like in Kantei. Takada made swords for war and for that function they utilized many skill sets that produced swords of varying traits. Example attached is an Okissaki, gunome/notare and choji hamon,itame and mokume hada, length 73cm on the Nagasa. It's a quagmire of skill and function and yes in hand it is a masterpiece (Juyo).

Always judge a sword by it's merits for even Masamune had bad days or "yucky-ire".

post-3929-0-19756300-1521236364_thumb.jpg

post-3929-0-28435100-1521236457_thumb.jpg

Long live unpopular schools.pdf

Having two Rays replying to this thread will be confusing :). But if the question was to me, I only shared the comment as an example of the quality level seen in earlier works of this school (a school normally only associated with utilitarian work). Some later Bungo (Takada) work can look like high quality Sue-Bizen and I have seen a couple that I would have thought were the work of the better (ie. Eisho) Sukesada. Aside from the kokoku example, the first sword shown on this page was a particularly excellent sword that was given its attribution by Dr. Homma.

http://www.sho-shin.com/sai12.htm

I think the main issue collectors face with schools like Takada is the difficulty grouping them and classifying them much like in Kantei. Takada made swords for war and for that function they utilized many skill sets that produced swords of varying traits. Example attached is an Okissaki, gunome/notare and choji hamon,itame and mokume hada, length 73cm on the Nagasa. It's a quagmire of skill and function and yes in hand it is a masterpiece (Juyo).

Always judge a sword by it's merits for even Masamune had bad days or "yucky-ire".

Where is this sword??

Quick 'buyer' thoughts, reasonable price, signed & papered, koshirae, on the short side, out of polish, flaws that will not polish out :dunno: , looks like hamachi may need to be reformed, *shape based on these images unimpressive imo (collectible swords begin with shape), quality based on these images is still a question. 

* how and would a new polish change the shape? 

Guest Rayhan

Hi Jay

Did the pictures not show up?

More to topic I also think the sword needs work and that will affect the overall investment which may not be recovered in the case of this Tomoyuki. So if you were buying it then it was a purchase on an item you love and will keep rather than to study and sell later.

post-3929-0-73110000-1521260239_thumb.jpg

post-3929-0-97918700-1521260253_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..