Tsuba Collection - Please Help Me Identify

bamer

Hi, I recently inherited a tsuba collection, could you please help me identify them? I have absolutely no knowledge in this subject, but I want to put them on auction. I also have a small bowl included. 

I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks in advance!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13mgm9_raP4oCGSrp7WU6gv0rJSIhJRLf

Dear Bamer.

(If that is not your name then please add your name to posts here.)  A mixture of tsuba, not in great condition.  Cast iron tsuba are bad news and some of yours are cast iron I'm afraid.  

Tsuba 1, cast iron I think.

Tsuba 2, the most interesting for me, the circular hole in the middle suggest it has been used as a decorative element in Europe, perhaps the backing for a door knob.  What does the other side look like?

Tsuba 3, again, cast and crudely done.

Tsuba 4, poor quality and may be cast iron.

Tsuba 5, might be OK but poor condition.

Tsuba 6,I think fake, the size of the seppa dai and the upside down signature.

Tsuba7, Shingunto tsuba from WWII.

Tsuba8, perhaps trying to be Chosu school but muddy detail and other signs that it may be cast.

Bowl,  sake cup, probably from WWII.  Show a photo the right way up and someone may be able to read the inscription.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.  I hope others will correct me if I am wrong.

All the best.

Hello Bamer,

Geraint allready gave you very good information and I agree with him that Number 2 is the most interesting piece but again it has been altered which is a problem. Overall most of these tsuba are probably worth less than USD 50.00 and would sell for 30 - 50 USD on eBay.

Best regards

No. 2 is a multimaker Tsuba. The first artist i read Masahisa.

The other signature start with Masa rest i can't read.

It is much more worth than 50 Dollar.

The Gunto Tsuba is well made and in very good condition, around $100

The others are garbage (fake cast) in my eyes.

Hello Christoph,

the problem with number 2 is that we don't know the back. It could be a later Taisho / Meiji periode piece and not a real tsuba but something made for touists by reputable Tsuba makers. Impossible to tell for now. I surely agree that it is the most interesting piece. However the problem is that it is somnething you can no longer mount on a sword ...

For the Gunto Tsuba I am doubtfull if it would fetch USD 100.00 on catawiki ...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..